Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. You must switch small breeds sooner (about 6 months).
2. It's best to switch no dog before 1 year.
3. It's bad to switch too soon.
4. It's much worse to not switch soon enough.
:? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

All those contradictions came from reasonably reliable sources, so I figure the best way to decide is to see what everyone else did.

Fraiser turned 8 months old a few days ago. ( :cry: My baby is growing up. ) :)
I intend to compromise on the age and make the switch at 9 months. We're sticking with our Science Diet. I am going to begin mixing the adult food with the puppy food in the next few days. I'll gradually change the mixutre until 4 weeks from now, at 9 months, he'll be on all dog or "big boy" food.

Does this sound reasonable? When did you switch your puppy over?

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
i think the royal canin for chi's says 10 months old...... but don't quote me on that cause my head hurts and i'm not thinking straight.. i think it all depends on the food and what the vet recomends. chiwi has to be switched onto science diet J/D when she is a year or 18 months old cause of her knees, that 's what the vet told me to do. so i'm going to ask him at the next visit if he thinks i should switch to the chi food when she is 10 months until she's a year or 18 months......

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I switched Tucker at about a year, maybe a little less. I would have made the switch sooner, but it takes him forever to finish a small bag of food. :roll:

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
I switched ozzy at about 8 months purely because he hated the puppy food tried everything and then tried him with adult and he loved it :D

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Chico just turned a year old this past wednesday, so thats when i started him on adult food. i'm mixing it with his puppy food, but every day i put less and less puppy food and more of the adult food.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Interesting question - I've been wondering the same thing. There is just so much contradicting info out there it's hard to know what to do, and I neglected to ask my vet last time we were in.

Jasmine is almost 9 mos old, and is a VERY picky eater. I'm hoping she will like the adult food better, but don't want to switch too soon. So, it seems most of you switched between 9 mos. and one year age. I will probably start switching Jasmine soon.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am also confused about the food thing.

My 8 month old Bambi a rescue is very much underweght, she is skeleton thin. The vet put her on Science Diet small puppy. She does eat it, just very little. When I look at the ingredients of it compared to Royal Canin, puppy, the Royal seems so much better, (she will eat both). I would like to get so weight on her so really wonder which would be best for her. She won't eat the science diet canned food at all. The vet sells Science Diet, so is that why he recommends it....I wonder!
I switched Bud, he's 11lbs. and 10 months old, to adult nutra as he has the opposite problem, thinks we are starving him. He has a large frame, but could lose 1/2 lb.

Pat Bud&Bam

1 - 9 of 9 Posts