Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm rethinking the whole pee pad thing when I get my pup. So, I have a question has anyone tried using Puppy Training Bells with Chi's? I read on Fetchdog.com a lot of reviews and many people were happy with the way it worked out. But I didn't see any reviews saying that it worked with Chi's.

I have another question, too. Just because your Chi is potty trained for outside, what if you need to leave it for 8 hours while your at work about 2 days a week in an exercise pen type thing - would putting a pee pad down be okay, since the dog cannot go outside? So in the end I'd have to do both, pee pad & outside train? Shouldn't I start the outside training first?

I'm pretty confident with everything else on getting a Chi - except the potty training. I am not looking forward to it. =(

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
So in the end I'd have to do both, pee pad & outside train? Shouldn't I start the outside training first? (
I personally think this is best. I trained our puppy to go outside first and she has been accident free since 16 weeks (she is 7 months now). When we have to leave for longer than she can hold it I put her in a pen with a we we pad. I never really did a lot of "training" on the pad, but when left in the pen she seems to just naturally want to go on the pad. I think that training them to go outside first really helps to reinforce the whole idea of going outside whenever possible.

Sometimes though you just have to leave the house for longer than your puppy can hold it, so the we we pads are an unfortunate necessity.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I personally think this is best. I trained our puppy to go outside first and she has been accident free since 16 weeks (she is 7 months now). When we have to leave for longer than she can hold it I put her in a pen with a we we pad. I never really did a lot of "training" on the pad, but when left in the pen she seems to just naturally want to go on the pad. I think that training them to go outside first really helps to reinforce the whole idea of going outside whenever possible.

Sometimes though you just have to leave the house for longer than your puppy can hold it, so the we we pads are an unfortunate necessity.
Okay! Thanks. Once I plan to get him I am going to ask for a few days off from work in a row just so I will be home with him. Because if I get him then the next day I go to work for a whole day I feel like I won't be able to get to bond with him & train with him as much as I should right when you first get him.

If getting him between 8-12 weeks - should I start training him to go outside right then or wait? The breeder I was talking to said this when I asked her if she trained her Chi's to go outside & what one I should do:

"Taking them outside can be done once they complete all three sets of puppy shots. Before that they could catch a virus and you dont want that to happen they need to be well protected. They get at least their first shot before going home sometimes their second depending on when they are ready to go and when they are picked up. Some dogs need a week or two more with their moms especially if they are extra tiny."

Does that sound right?

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
I agree. I would train outside first, if that's what you want your chi to do most of the time. Our Odie is 100% trained on pee pads, and we've been slowly switching to mostly outside. Usually on my lunch breaks, i'm able to go home and take her out and play with her. If i'm not able to, either my husband does, or she goes to work with my mom. The other day, no one was able to check on her midday, and she had to be alone for 8 hours for the first time ever. I was super surprised when I came home, and she didn't use her pee pad once! She held it the whole time. When we leave her alone, she's not crated at all. She has free run of the main floor of our house. I was so proud! When your chi is a puppy, obviously they won't be able to hold it that long, but they probably will be able to when they've become an adult. Good luck!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree. I would train outside first, if that's what you want your chi to do most of the time. Our Odie is 100% trained on pee pads, and we've been slowly switching to mostly outside. Usually on my lunch breaks, i'm able to go home and take her out and play with her. If i'm not able to, either my husband does, or she goes to work with my mom. The other day, no one was able to check on her midday, and she had to be alone for 8 hours for the first time ever. I was super surprised when I came home, and she didn't use her pee pad once! She held it the whole time. When we leave her alone, she's not crated at all. She has free run of the main floor of our house. I was so proud! When your chi is a puppy, obviously they won't be able to hold it that long, but they probably will be able to when they've become an adult. Good luck!
Thank you so much! I've learned a lot from this forum! =)

Have you happened to hear anything on the training bells?

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Does that sound right?
There is risk of parvo being contracted up until they get their 16 week shots (assuming they are getting an 8 week, 12 week and 16 week). I bleached a concrete area of my backyard so that I could begin house-training and hanging outside before my girls shots were done. It is safe for them to come into contact with any surface that you can disinfect with bleach first. Could be concrete, rocks, a porch or anything. If you only have grass in the outside area of your house then you might need to start inside with puppy pads.

Everyone has different levels of confort with what they will do with an un-vaccinated puppy. My vet told me we could start normal activity 5 days after her 12 week shots, some people totally isolate until after their 16 week shots. It really all depends.

For instance the place we take puppy class at allows puppy's after their first set of shots, but they sanitize the hard floor before and after puppy class. That is a totally different situation than taking them to a place like a park where un-vaccinated dogs can run all over.

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
I was actually considering using puppy bells with Odie, but didn't end up doing it. The reason I wanted to was because Odie doesn't bark, or ask to go out. I know they sell them in stores, but all the ones i've seen are definitely not long enough to be chi accessible. It would be easy to make your own though! Like anything, i'm sure your puppy would catch on after consistency from you. Let us know how it goes if you end up trying them out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is risk of parvo being contracted up until they get their 16 week shots (assuming they are getting an 8 week, 12 week and 16 week). I bleached a concrete area of my backyard so that I could begin house-training and hanging outside before my girls shots were done. It is safe for them to come into contact with any surface that you can disinfect with bleach first. Could be concrete, rocks, a porch or anything. If you only have grass in the outside area of your house then you might need to start inside with puppy pads.

Everyone has different levels of confort with what they will do with an un-vaccinated puppy. My vet told me we could start normal activity 5 days after her 12 week shots, some people totally isolate until after their 16 week shots. It really all depends.

For instance the place we take puppy class at allows puppy's after their first set of shots, but they sanitize the hard floor before and after puppy class. That is a totally different situation than taking them to a place like a park where un-vaccinated dogs can run all over.
I am assuming that I will only have a grassy area for him. So I think I will have to wait. Will it be hard to switch him over after he gets his sets of shots? I'm nervous!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was actually considering using puppy bells with Odie, but didn't end up doing it. The reason I wanted to was because Odie doesn't bark, or ask to go out. I know they sell them in stores, but all the ones i've seen are definitely not long enough to be chi accessible. It would be easy to make your own though! Like anything, i'm sure your puppy would catch on after consistency from you. Let us know how it goes if you end up trying them out.
I was thinking of using a command reusable strip to put near the door on the wall and hang it off that that way it could be at Chi height. =)

I will def report back & see how it goes. I'm so excited to get the little guy and have stuffed my brain with everything that I could possibly learn.

ETA: Odie is adorable! I hope to get a Chi will the same colors as her.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I have the Poochie Bells. They are long enough to either be on the door knob ( which I do not prefer as it will clang every time the door is used) or on a hook beside the door which is how I have mine.

They are a great idea IF you do not use the "pennies in a can" training trick, which I did. The pennies weren't even that helpful in the long run & then my one boy Alvin was afraid of the bells. He is a year now and just beginning to not mind the bells ( but he still prefers to scratch at the door). I would recommend starting early with them. :)

·
Registered
786 Posts
I am in the process of training with bells right now and so far, so good! Ote has been potty trained since her first week at home, she seemed to naturally have a want to please us and "potty" outside. She is now 8 months and we are starting on the bells. She already has a way of telling us that she has to go (both paws on my leg & "stretching", then we ask "potty?" and she will tilt her head and give "the look!") so we are trying to connect that with the bells and help her to relate the two.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just notice how much your pup looks like our new family member Padi. Gotta love the one brown eye. I saw the bells on Amazon and one set was adjustable in length... Padi is starting to signal when he needs out but if I don't see him .. well let's say he isn't very patient. I'm just afraid that he will opt to play tug with them and I will spend half my life running to the door.

Padi was being liter box trained but is doing great on the dual potty spots.. he seems to prefer going outdoors.

·
Registered
311 Posts
We have a set of sleigh bells on the door that jingle each time we come in or go out. Any bell would work near the door. We have a dog door as well but our pup doesn't use it yet. When you take him/her out you ring it, if it/they (the bells don't do so on their own). Pup will be tiny at first so you just want the pup to hear the noise and associate the sound with the action of going outside. As the pup gets older the bell/bells would need lowered so that he or she can reach and sound them when they need to go. You continue to sound the bell each time you take them outside. The bell portion and the pup actually ringing it come a bit later in the training and it just kind of happens. You eventually hear the pup ring the bell telling you she needs to go out.

I do take pup to work so she doesn't actually have to stay at home by herself. But I wanted her to be able to stay alone if it ever became necessary. I have an x-pen and I put a clearance shower curtain down on the flooring under it. X-pen is portable (you can find the on craigslist too) so can be used any place in the house and outside. Found several shower curtains the fork truck ran over and destroyed the packaging of at our local Lowe's ($30 curtains for $2 bucks!!). They are beautiful and so handy. She has pottied on them when left for a longer period of time, but carpet and wood floors do not get any elimination enzymes and I just take up the soiled curtain and toss it in the wash with some Nature's Miracle and am good to go. Having a second one allows you to replace the one you are washing so pup is never able to potty on your floors. Make sure if you go with training for both when you allow the potty inside the pup is in a controlled/ small area. If it has free run while you are gone it will be very difficult to see where they pottied & they will continue to potty in those same spots and find others and house-training will be a disaster.

We were able to take our pup outside before all of her shots. We have a yard that the only ones who have access to are vetted animals. We didn't have strays / dog who are neglected in the area so she was able to potty outside the moment she came home.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I obviously did things back to front then coz I started training all mine on puppy pads in the house! I started out using treats and praise when they went on the pads then started taking them outside and then they got praise for using the pads but only got the treat for going outside. Not sure if it made a difference or not really!!
Now I have puppy pads forming a door mat under the dog/cat flap into their run. They tend to use the pads for weeing but unless the weather is really awful prefer to poop outside. In fact as long as they get their morning and afternoon walks they are most likely to poop on their walks.:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I trained Sake to go outside first, and then trained her to go on a fake grass litter box a few months later. She seems to prefer going outside to do her business and only goes on her fake grass if no one is around to let her out. It's been working pretty well, and she hasn't had any accidents in a long time.

I hung a little bell from the doorknob on the front door and Sake learned to use it within a couple days. In fact, I would say she trained me to let her out when she rang the bell. They do sell poochie bells for about $25 online, but I made my own and I like it a lot better for a few reasons.

1. It's cheaper
2. I live in a small apartment, so I can hear one little bell from anywhere in the apartment. No need for 4 or 6 bells clanging loudly.
3. The poochie bells are made with round jingle bells that have tapered slits in them. The slits are just large enough that my dog could catch her toenail in them. I ordered some tin bells online that are cone-shaped with a striker that can't come off, and just one of those on a string has worked really well.

I even take the bell with me whenever I travel so Sake can easily tell me when she needs to go. I highly recommend it. When its warm outside and Sake just wants to chill outside for a while, she rings her bell. So it's not really a potty bell as much as a 'go outside' bell. Sometimes I think she needs to potty, and she just wants to lie in the sun on the grass. But I don't mind because I like sitting outside with her for a few minutes too.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I trained Sake to go outside first, and then trained her to go on a fake grass litter box a few months later. She seems to prefer going outside to do her business and only goes on her fake grass if no one is around to let her out. It's been working pretty well, and she hasn't had any accidents in a long time.

I hung a little bell from the doorknob on the front door and Sake learned to use it within a couple days. In fact, I would say she trained me to let her out when she rang the bell. They do sell poochie bells for about $25 online, but I made my own and I like it a lot better for a few reasons.

1. It's cheaper
2. I live in a small apartment, so I can hear one little bell from anywhere in the apartment. No need for 4 or 6 bells clanging loudly.
3. The poochie bells are made with round jingle bells that have tapered slits in them. The slits are just large enough that my dog could catch her toenail in them. I ordered some tin bells online that are cone-shaped with a striker that can't come off, and just one of those on a string has worked really well.

I even take the bell with me whenever I travel so Sake can easily tell me when she needs to go. I highly recommend it. When its warm outside and Sake just wants to chill outside for a while, she rings her bell. So it's not really a potty bell as much as a 'go outside' bell. Sometimes I think she needs to potty, and she just wants to lie in the sun on the grass. But I don't mind because I like sitting outside with her for a few minutes too.
I like the sounds (no pun intended!) of your homemade bell....can you post a pic? Maybe this smaller bell wouldn't freak Alvin out! Thanks :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I like the sounds (no pun intended!) of your homemade bell....can you post a pic? Maybe this smaller bell wouldn't freak Alvin out! Thanks :)
Sure, here you go! The paint on the bell rubbed off and left a small mark on the door. Just something to watch out for if it that would bother you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts