Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 8 wk old chihuahua puppy and she was doing well, about 80 to 90 percent of the time I put her on the paper she will go potty, but no matter how hard I try I can't get her to walk over herself to go puppy she just goes where ever she's at unless I catch her way before she has to go carry her over there and set her on the paper and tell her go potty. I've tried not carrying her over and just tried calling her over but generally she get close and ran away like it's a game then go potty someplace on the floor. I don't know what else to try. I keep her potty clean, I give her praise and treats when she goes but she just seems like she has no desire to walk there to go the potty.

P.S her potty isn't to far away either, and it's not like it's by her crate or food because I know they don't like that.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
She's very young at 8 weeks and doing well,she will get the idea eventually it all takes time and you're doing the right thing with treats and praise

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I agree with Michele. She is very young. She will get the idea. That's exactly what I did with Angel. I would carry him into the bathroom to his pad and say "go potty!" He didn't go "every" time, but most of the time. It took 3 weeks for him to go completely on his own.

Are you crate training? Using a crate is the best thing you can do. I even use a small one when we go out in the car! He loves it!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have you tried potty training spray or a small dab of ammonia as attractant? Sake wouldn't go on her fake grass until I put a couple drops of ammonia on it. Some people have lots of success with attractant, and other don't. 8 weeks is pretty young. Your little pup might just need some time to learn.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Is there somewhere you can set up a playpen for her with the pads to keep her in when you're not watching her? That'll be your best bet; here's a pic of the setup we use. (You would just use a pad instead of the grass patch.) But the other side would be for bedding, toys, etc. Basically a dogs natural aversion to soiling it's own bed will cause it to go to the other side. And the more often she does this, the more she'll develop a habit of going on that particular surface.

Other than that I'd suggest tether training. It's annoying but if you're diligent it won't take long for her to be trained. You would just keep a leash tethered to your belt loop or waist; other end attached to a harness and her. The key is to PREVENT every accident from occurring. If she can't be trusted to roam free without having an accident, this is a must. As every time she gets away with peeing elsewhere; she has no reason to think it's wrong. Scolding her after it happens, doesn't do any good since dogs 'live in the moment' and she won't grasp what you're trying to say. It can be difficult going through the day with a puppy by your side constantly but I assure you it's the quickest way to have a reliably trained pup. Take her to the patch regularly on a set schedule; but also since she'll be by your side constantly you'll be able to catch her in the act if she starts to pee. And when this happens, pick her up IMMEDIATELY and move her to the pad. She'll eventually catch on that the ONLY acceptable place to pee, is the pad. =)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts