Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy Vanna is 8 weeks old, and I am crate training her because she can climb to the top of her pen (which is 3 feet tall) and we found her sleeping on the couch when we got home one day. So for her safety we are crate AND pen training (I still like the idea of her having a little pen/exercise place for her food, toys, and potty pads)

My question is, how do I set a schedule for her to eliminate before going 'night night'? She pees on the pads very well but she will not poop on the pads, however she will not poop in her crate either. Its either the floor or she does the potty dance! Very frustrating! :foxes15: I have been letting her out during the day for quite some time to let her exercise and play, and at night I get up if she whines (Im used to it from a two year old I suppose). I dont always hear her but shes had very few accidents since being confined for the night.

Any tips on elimination schedules? Does it have to do with when I feed her? She always has food available, shes young so I dont want to take that away so Im hoping theres better advice than that. Thanks in advance from the chi-newb!!

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
8 weeks is very young and you should expect accidents at this age, please be patient with her ;-) Crate training is a wonderful tool for them. Also only having her out when you can supervise will help a lot. If you need to, you can tether her to you so you can watch her at all times ;-)

If you really want her on a schedule then you will need to feed her on a schedule 3 to 4 times a day is ideal. If she is very tiny then 4 meals is recommended. If you are worried about her then you can give her some nutri-cal in the morning, afternoon and right before bed.

As for not pooing on the pad, some Chi's do not like to urinate and defecate in the same place. When Yoshi was young he had this problem to. I used both a litter box and a pee pad when he was young and he would urinate on the pee pad and defecate in the litter box. Thankfully he grew out of it after awhile :)

I hope this helps :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since writing that we have had a success of poop on the pad...I had put a brand new one down, and it seemed to work, so maybe she wasnt liking the tinkle spots already there. I made sure she ate around my own dinner time and that made her eliminate only a few hours later. I am being very patient with her as far as accidents, and shes shown me that she's very smart (although base diving off the top of her fence doesnt seem very smart) so we'll see how it goes, I suppose I will be watching for progress in the coming weeks

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
My Zoey never liked to poo on the same pad that she pees on. She prefers to poo outside and now she poos everyday around 5PM when DH gets home and takes her out. She waits for him. But pees on the pads.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
You have received good advise...I just wanted to comment that Im shocked that your 8 week old chi baby can climb out of a crate and jump on the couch :nshocked2:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was pretty shocked myself...nevermind being frustrated that the pen I bought her is good for zero, zip, nada!!!
She is doing better at night, however...I even leave the crate open during the day and she goes in, so we have started calling it "bed" with hopes she will eventually be under "lock and key" willingly :rolleyes:
And really she's been doing amazingly through the night...she goes to bed about the same time as the baby (9pm) and wakes up around the same time
(7-8am)! I'd say I got the smartest in the bunch, but maybe I'm a little biased.

·
Registered
894 Posts
What kind of pen do you have? My pup could climb out of hers too. But ppl on her told me that this cover works for some crates. So if it fits, I would look into getting that!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What kind of pen do you have? My pup could climb out of hers too. But ppl on her told me that this cover works for some crates. So if it fits, I would look into getting that!
You have no idea how happy this makes me! I have an octagon-type one from petsmart, so I'm thinking that might work! Oh happy day!!! :hello1:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Yay Blondie thanks for passing down the good advice! Hope this cover works for you Krista! I would rather have a pen than a crate any day. I don't really like crates. Glad you got some great advice from everybody!!!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Since writing that we have had a success of poop on the pad...I had put a brand new one down, and it seemed to work, so maybe she wasnt liking the tinkle spots already there. I made sure she ate around my own dinner time and that made her eliminate only a few hours later. I am being very patient with her as far as accidents, and shes shown me that she's very smart (although base diving off the top of her fence doesnt seem very smart) so we'll see how it goes, I suppose I will be watching for progress in the coming weeks
I had a Westie girl who would not use a newspaper that already had pee or poo on it. She would come and get me and want a clean paper every time. She was very clean and I got good at covering pee with a piece of clean paper to make her happy and keeping poo removed and flushed. My two are paper or potty pad trained now and I pretty much keep a clean place maintained for them. I remove poo immediately and flush it and keep clean papers or pads handy. I like a clean bathroom and they do, too!

Jeanette

1 - 10 of 10 Posts