Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok leila had a DHPP shot on April 21 and May 12. She was born on March 2.
Will she need another Dhpp or not? I've heard conflicting things and want to be sure to do it right, but not over vaccinate. I want to start taking her outside to explore and walks, etc. and get her used to being on lead and everything. And also for socialization purposes, but haven't yet because I want to make sure she's had all shots she needs first. Obviously she hasn't had a rabies yet, that's not a problem to walk her out in the neighborhood without that is it? It's been a long time since i've done this puppy stuff, i've forgotten a lot. lol

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
There are 3 shots in the puppy series. If she has had 2, she needs one more. Just ask for the core shots only.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I would wait until 6 months to do the rabies. And then get the 3 year vaccine if possible in your location.

Bordetella only protects against a couple of the strains of kennel cough and there are many. It's up to you whether you want to give that or not. I don't.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Oakley and Trigger got bordetella because it was required for them to go to puppy daycare and puppy social hour/ puppy classes. Bryco will probably get that one too. They've gotten the intranasal version though,...not the needle. Don't have a clue if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't plan on putting her in any classes and she won't need daycare.
Hm i'm torn on the bordatella then. I plan on walking her around the neighborhood, other places, meet other animals, petsmart, etc.
WHen should she have her third puppy shot then? They didnt schedule her for one, they did schedule me but it was for rabies i think. And i think it was for july. she would be around 4 mos in july. I will call them tomorrow and get this str8. I want to hurry up and get her third shot so we can get to socializing :D. Her second one was may 12, so when should she get another.??

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I would do the third around June 12th, or thereabouts. Wait until she's 6 months for the Rabies vaccine. Don't let your Vet push you. Bordetella isn’t necessary unless you board, go to dog parks, or she spends time where there are dogs other than your own.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TLI, I'm sure she'll got places like parks, etc. I want her to experience alot and not have fears. we don't have a "Dog park" but plentyof parks where people do take their dogs with them and i want to include her in that. so i should maybe go ahead and get the bordatella. Should i get it at the same time as her 3rd puppy shot?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts