Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for breeders who vaccinate their puppies at home. Do you give the full vaccine? Or do you reduce the amount given due to the size of the puppy? Does a St. Bernard pup get the same dose as a chihuahua? I had a breeder tell me that she gives the full vaccine but my vet told me that he gives only a quarter of the vaccine to new pups. My puppy was seven weeks old when vaccinated by the vet and only given a quarter vaccine (Novibac, Puppy-DPv). He is due to receive his next vaccine next Friday. Is a quarter effective for a pup who weighed less than a pound? Is he going to be safe? If not what should I do? Start over? Thank you!

·
Registered
488 Posts
We give vaccines to cause the dog to build his own immune response to the disease. So, it is hard to know how much is enough in my opinion. If there was enough of the modified or killed virus in the shot to ensure the puppy's immune system found it, then the small amount should be just as effective as the typical dose. I have not read of any studies looking into this, so the vet may or may not have a scientific grounding for making the choice to use less. I will see if I can find anything!

Also, keep in mind we use the same vaccines for newborn human babies as adults as far as I know.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Hopefully my last reply shows up, but let me add that I think it would be irresponsible for a breeder to give a puppy only part of a vaccine and then claim the puppy is fully vaccinated.

Here is the hard science on this: What’s the Right “Dose” of a Vaccine for Small-Breed Dogs? | The SkeptVet

If you want more details and information, you may want to read this followup to the last post too:Evidence Update: Dodds Study on Vaccine Dose in Small Breed Dogs | The SkeptVet

Basically, there is no science a vet can lean on for giving a partial dose of a vaccine. I don't think you need to start over, as the older your pup gets the more likely the antibodies will be permanent. Stick to the schedule and you should be fine!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Melody! I appreciate your very thorough response and will follow your advice. I am sure you are a busy person and it is so nice that you took time to help me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I acquired a 5-pound 7-month old Chipin a couple of weeks ago (Otis).
The person I got him from said he had his "first 3 rounds of shots", but could not document this or verify it, so I decided to play it safe and get him vaccinated. I heard you could save money if you do it yourself and just order the shots online, which in Virginia is perfectly legal, so I called a very popular online site, and was connected to a phone operator who sounded very professional and intelligent even though I asked if she was a vet she told me she was just a phone rep. I was told that the typical regimen for shots was four doses of 5-way spaced two weeks apart followed by three doses of 9-way spaced two weeks apart. (each shot was around $5 which indeed sounded very reasonable) When I asked about rabies, she said that they recommend a local vet to administer rabies vaccinations.
Well when I went to the vet to get the rabies shot, I told him what the operator has said. He told me that the online meds place was wrong and that their suggested regimen was way too much and too close together. He said all Otis really needs is a single dose of 5-way and then a annual booster and that the 9-way was optional to protect against flu. I decided to go with the vet's recommendation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts