Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got Peanut when she was 9 weeks old. At that time we weighed her in at 2.6 lbs. I know that's already pretty big. Now, she is 12 weeks old and she's already 4lbs. Is this growing spurt normal. I looked at the weight chart and it seems as though she's growing more than she should be. Should I be concerned or is this normal in the beginning?

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
That is definitely one heck of a growth spurt! :) I wouldn't consider it 'normal' per se, but I think it is fine that Peanut is growing that fast. Just like children, dogs grow at different speeds. She will definitely be a big Chi but there's nothing wrong with that. :)

Would you consider her oveweight? You should be able to feel her ribs but not see them. Have you taken her to the vet for her 12-week shots yet? When you do take her in next you can mention it to the vet but my guess is she is perfectly fine - just a fast grower! :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know, I can just picture the vet saying that. But I just took her in for her 12 week shot this morning. They said she is starting to look like a chihuahua now. Never mentioned anything about the weight. She's normal. She's definitely not overweight. I don't see her ribs but she is very skinny. She has thick skin though it seems. Hopefully, she will just stop growing!!! LOL :lol:

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
lol - shes going to be a big chi - ozzy was like 2 pound at 12 weeks and he is now 7 pounds and he is one - I think she willl probably hit the 10 or 11 pound mark - more chi to love though

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
Yeah, she's going to be a big girl. I think Mr. Peepers was around 3.5 pounds at 12 weeks and now he's been stuck at 12 pounds for a few months now, so hopefully he's done growing. You definitely won't have a tiny chi but they are still small dogs. Mr. Peepers is small enough to snuggle in small places still. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts