Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pixie doesn't seem to like us sleeping through the night!

Just wanted some advice on late night puppy whimpering. We take her out before bed. She sleeps in a bed in a big rubbermaid container right now. About two hours after we all go to sleep she starts whimpering. We've been trying to just ignore her (after night one she hasn't gone to the bathroom in her bed), because we don't want to encourage her getting our attention. She usually stops after about 5-10 minutes (it seems like an hour!). The a few hours later she does it again.

Around 4:30 or so the last couple of nights one of us has taken her outside to go to the bathroom... another habit I'd like to break.

Any advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Hi :)
Well my advice is to carry on trying to ignore her because tough love is the only way you guys will ever get some sleep
She is quite young and can't hold her bladder for long so you must try to take her out at night until she is a bit older and can hold herself for longer, unless you want to train her to use potty pads at night or when no one is around (which is what I have done)
As a general rule of thumb, a puppy can go one hour for month-of-age plus one. In other words, a two-month-old puppy can hold his bladder and bowels for 3 hours, a three-month-old for 4 hours, a five-month-old for 6 hours and so on....
I also bought a snuggle puppy when I first got my pups
I left it with the breeder so she can leave it around so it has their mom's scent on it
It also has heat pads and a heart beat which may calm your puppy
(I never used the heart beat, but the heat pads were very nice and both Prada and Gucci liked to cuddle with their snuggle puppy)
Good luck :D

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
It took Amberleah few nights of crying. I have big enough crate where I have a puppy pad if she needs to potty. the older she gets the less she has to go. once in while she will cry, if she has to poop she doesn't like poop in crate. maybe put a warm pad in with her. I have one with beans and put in mic to warm. I put in on cold nights too.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Yeah, if she is waking in the night and whimpering, it usually mean she has to pee or poo or she is hungry. I had to feed Pepper in the middle of the night for a while because he was taken too young from his mom. Your little one was, too. Their little stomachs are too small sometimes to make it through the night. They do not like to mess where they sleep, however, being so young, if not taken out, she can learn to do her business in her bed. One solution is put her in a bigger pen and have a pee pad if you don't want to be woken at night.

This is the set up I used for puppies, it works very well. And she can eat and drink, too. The pen is quite reasonable on Amazon, I think i got mine for $40.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Every pup is a little different. Ein was so horrid in her crate when we first got her. I knew she'd cry for a few nights, but she would cry for 2 hours straight making every shriek, howl, and whine she could think of when we put her in for the night. I got so tired of not sleeping that we finally just took her out of the crate and made a nest out of an electric blanket. We put it next to our big dog who sleeps on a comforter bed next to our bed, and the little brat slept the whole night there! Only had to put her back on her nest a few times the first night. She just wanted to be with the family, and she followed Jade's example and stayed on her bed. Every dog has a little different sleep ritual.

Maybe try a nice walk before bed. If she doesn't walk well yet, then a long play session outside so she can potty and get out any and all energy. Should help her sleep until she needs to potty in the middle of the night.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi my buster sleeps with me and i have no trouble with any of it could your new baby sleep with you thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts