Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there please pardon my stress but I haven't slept in many days I currently have purchased a Chihuahua short hair Apple Head which was born March 2nd 2016 I have had him now for a week and a half and he hasn't had his first Veterinary visit. The vet says the soft spot on his head is still quite large and only has a 90% chance of closing however it should not cause his behavioral issues that he's currently having. I have a 1 year old Chihuahua and which I got the puppy for to keep him company because I work nights. The first few days the puppy slept in bed with me was very calm not the lot eating and drinking well. He is still eating and drinking well however he naps once an hour for about 10 to 15 minutes but when he is awake for the other 45 minutes he walks around constantly crying now howling and even screaming and nothing will comfort him. He does not like to be held carried locked saying to talk to nor will he play with any type of toy with a bright or dark in color squishy hard to even like or any other type of toy. He is to the point where even though I tried to hold and comfort him he will not stop crying for absolutely any reason and he even cries himself to sleep and cries and screams when he eats. Please help me as I would hate to return the stuff I do love him and he seems like he could be very sweet I just am completely at a loss as to how I may be able to comfort him in any way and if this is at all normal for the Chihuahua breed. My current Chihuahua I never experienced any of this anxiety or crying there was maybe a couple of days where he was unsure of me but he took to me immediately and has been by my side ever since. Please help!

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
I've never had such a young puppy (all of mine were at least 12 weeks old when I got them) so I may be wrong, but it doesn't seem normal to me. It sounds like he could be in pain. Have you seen or called a vet about this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes he has been to the vet and he said he had no parasites or worms or any other reason for pain. His soft spot has not closed all the way yet but he said that is normal in chihuahuas and if it does not may need a CT scan in the future, but unless he's but hard in that spot should not cause any pain. So again this is why I am at a complete loss and reaching out for help and/or advice...

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I wonder if this puppy has hydrocephalus? These puppies generally have a large head, and usually don't survive long. Hopefully not. (hydrocephalus means water on the brain) The fact that he is screaming and crying means that he is in pain, or uncomfortable. I'd be wondering if the current vet is doing what needs to be done. Has the pup had x-rays of his head? Maybe another vet? Keep us posted, we'll try to help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
An x-ray will not show the fluid only a CT scan will, which I don't want to sedate him since 2 vets now think it is likely hydrocephalus. He was lost weight although he eats regularly. There is no neurologist in louisiana they say so im headed home to do more research.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts