Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a six month old chihuahua/terrier mix that picked up the pads really quickly and peed and pooped on them 90% of the time correctly within a weeks time. Sometimes she would poop or pee off the side of the pad, not knowing where she was spatially but at least she tried.

I've had a UGODOG for a month or so now and she's 100% with pooping on it and about 50/50 with peeing on it, possibly worse. Anyone run into this problem? I keep it in the kitchen and she's 100% isolating her duties to that area but she pees all around the kitchen now and it's getting to be a bit of a hassle. I've tried watching her and picking her up and putting her on the UGODOG when I see her starting to pee elsewhere but it doesn't seem to be improving.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Let me know if you need any other info to make sense of what's going on. Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did at first when she was learning the pads but now she's onto the UGODOG and seems to be regressing, specifically just with peeing though. She's pooping 100% of the time on the UGODOG no problem. I'm not around most of the day so it's tough to monitor her but I do give her treats when I see her go so that seems to have worked but for some reason she's hit or miss with peeing on the UGODOG.

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Zoey has never liked to poo where she pees. when she was younger i had to use 2 pee pads. Now I just have the Uogodog and have to pick up the poo immediately. But for the most part she goes poo outside once a day when DH takes her out after work

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Seems to me that by leaving her out to pee where she wants you're just reinforcing that it's OK for her to pee other places as well as the UGODOG. I think what you have to focus on is not that she's using the UGODOG 50% of the time for pee, but that she really hasn't connected with the fact that she's SUPPOSED to pee there, so she will randomly pee there, and just as randomly pee elsewhere. It doesn't matter that she was fully potty trained before. Obviously she's not now, for whatever reason.

You need to return to basics. Crate her when you can't be around to watch her, and when you let her out of her crate, take her straight to the UGODOG to pee. If she doesn't go, return her to her crate. Simply put, don't give her ANY opportunity to pee anywhere except where you want her to go. And make SURE you clean up the floor where she has been peeing with an enzymatic cleaner so that there's no odor to lure her back to those places to pee again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts