Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good morning ladies.
I'm thinking about buying a puppy. He is very cute, and I don't care about looks, but the health.
Do you think there is a possibillity that he has water on his brain? I've read up about it, but I just wanted to hear some of your opinions about it. Maybe some of you have experience with it.
Thanks ladies?

Pictures follow down below, sorry it's such a messy post, it's been so long since I was in here, so I forgot all about that I had to put in in with Photobucket.

:daisy:

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Most important, have a vet check him over! The breeder should do this anyway. There are signs of hydrocephalus (medical term for water on the brain) that would alert the vet. What/why do you think this is a possibility? Hopefully this is not the case. Keep us informed, as we all care.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I think he looks like a normal, extreme applehead chihuahua. Adorable. Some babies that age, have a really big head. I would wait for a month or so, and at one of his vet visits for 'shots' have the vet check him for hydrocephalus. Hopefully he just has a big head!

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Have you gone to meet the pup yet? I would ask the breeder if any of her dogs have sired/whelped a puppy with hydrocephalus. Of course they could avoid this question, but it is worth asking. If so, is that dog neutered/spayed? This may well be just a congenital birth defect, but maybe heredity has something to do with it. I don't know.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update on the pup!
I went to visit him today and he was too cute!!! Head is smaller in real life. He acts very healthy and I go to get him home on thursday!!!!! I'm so in love!

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Great! Have you puppy proofed your house? Got a pen/crate/carrier? I use an Iris pen with a crate/carrier inside. I use washable human pee pads. They also have disposable pee pads, but I find that the human ones last for years IF you don't use anything, except detergent when washing. I also dry on a low heat. I just retired 2 of mine after YEARS of use! If you use a pen, they sort of house train themselves and you don't have to get up at night! And the most important---they are SAFE. I don't use collars when they are in the pen.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks ladies! I have a crate...and a sherpa carrier for him. I'm so freakin exited!!!
Baby left me......he passed away the 26th of july....he had heart failure and had to be put down. The worst day of my life. I will never be the same again..but I'm trying every day to push forward.
More pictures of the little one will come when I get him on thursday!

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Thanks ladies! I have a crate...and a sherpa carrier for him. I'm so freakin exited!!!
Baby left me......he passed away the 26th of july....he had heart failure and had to be put down. The worst day of my life. I will never be the same again..but I'm trying every day to push forward.
More pictures of the little one will come when I get him on thursday!
Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry to hear that! I know how much you loved him and it must have been so hard... :(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts