Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
The Vet said that my puppy got Giardia after checking his stool. The doctor gave me a vial of Flagyl that is to be given to him once a day for ten days. THe doctor was able to force his mouth open and give it to him. Now that I'm home he won't come near me when i want to give it to him. Any suggestions? I don't want to hurt him by forcing him to take it.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Fill the dropper when he isn't paying any attention. Hide it where he can't see it. Put your hand around the back of his neck (fingers holding his head still) so that he can't twist and turn. Poke the syringe in his mouth towards the side, push meds in. : ) You won't hurt him.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
You won't hurt him if you hold him strongly without squeezing him. Open up the medicine and load the dropper. Set it aside. Wait for the puppy to come to you, give a treat like a piece of cheese or a tiny bit of meat, something to really entice him to you. Pick him up onto your lap. Lift his head up a bit. Put your one hand behind his head, holding it steady. Insert the dropper on the side of his mouth and dispense the medicine into his cheek area. It will still get down his throat and you won't run the risk of him breathing the medicine in. Once it's done, praise and give another high quality treat. He will soon learn getting medicine gets him a yummy treat and he shouldn't fight you so much. At least, that is the idea. lol

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will give it a try and hopefully it works. I heard that prong treatment with Flagyl is actually bad for the dog.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
The ladies have given you great advice (naturally).

None of mine willingly take medication. I do just as they have described. It is something like trying to administer medication to a small octopus.

One exception is that last time Hope needed antibiotics I opted for chewable. She begged for them. They looked and smelled similar to Interceptor heart work medication.

Hope was on Flagyl (metronidazole) repeatedly. She actually did fine. Since she was on it so long I got her a vet grade probiotic and gave it to her for a few months at the end of and after she was on treatment. A week of it is fine. If for some reason it gets extended you may want to consider that. She throws up yogurt so I could not do that but you could try.

Hope tummy issues get sorted for you soon!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He wouldn't stay still and i couldn't force it in his mouth without a lot of squealing and crying. I used the dropper to add the med to a teaspoon and sprinkled crushed up baby carrot (his favorite treat) and he reluctantly ate it up.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Whatever works for you is fantastic. I'm glad you got it in him and its not stressful for him. win-win.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
How much is the dose? My puppy is on antibiotics at the moment and she has about 4 drops on a teaspoon full of scrambled egg and she scarfs it down and looks for more. If it's only a few drops use bribery in the form of food.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure the dosage. Just says one dropper once a day for ten days. Can you please give me more info on the egg was prepared? Last night was a bit harder getting him to take it even with food.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I just scramble an egg and lightly cook it in about a 1/4 teaspoon butter until it is just set. Then i let it cool. I take about 1 tsp of the scrambled egg and put it in her bowl and drop on her medication. I've found that it somehow sticks to or is soaked into the egg. It doesn't work as well if I use cooked chicken breast or something like that coz it seems to run off and sit at the bottom of the bowl, the egg seems to magically soak it up. My dogs absolutely love egg so once Chloe has eaten the bit with her medication I let them have the rest of the scrambled egg.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just scramble an egg and lightly cook it in about a 1/4 teaspoon butter until it is just set. Then i let it cool. I take about 1 tsp of the scrambled egg and put it in her bowl and drop on her medication. I've found that it somehow sticks to or is soaked into the egg. It doesn't work as well if I use cooked chicken breast or something like that coz it seems to run off and sit at the bottom of the bowl, the egg seems to magically soak it up. My dogs absolutely love egg so once Chloe has eaten the bit with her medication I let them have the rest of the scrambled egg.
Thank you for that. I made it for him and he ate it up with the meds.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
That's great to hear! Plus an egg once a week or so is a healthy treat that can help with a nice shiny coat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.