Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i'm hoping for a little advice.my pup is 12wks old had her since 8wks.shes doing really well and put on a pound,shes going to be huge i'm sure! the problem is she bites me really hard when shes playing or wants attention.i try saying no,yelping,grabbing the scruff of her neck only lightly,i dont want to hurt her.i try to ignore her but she bites my feet and she will bite and growl.she seems to love being naughty she will run of up the stairs wait for me then bark at me.i adore her but the bitings getting me down and it really hurts. she gets plenty of attention i'm home with her all day but how can i play with her and not encourage biting? also shes not a big walker and its hard to get her to walk.she sleeps in a crate which is going well.any ideas? thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
hmmm....that's a difficult one. My pup used to nap sometimes, but she never ever bits anyone ever. and even when she naps, i always have a go at her not to do that. and now she stoped it completly. get her lots of chewy toys. she obivously thinks it's a game and doesn't mean to hurt you...so it's difficult. sorry can't help you anymore! i am sure you will get some better answers soon!! :)

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
She's a pup and has to learn that biting hurts in which she's only playing. She's also teething. When you say no, make sure you use a deep firm voice. When she starts the biting, say no and give her her chew toys. Walking a pup is not a natural thing as they have to learn what you are wanting them to do. It doesn't take long for them to figure it out, but you have to have patience--remember, they're just babies & everythings new to them.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Ah yes! Not that long ago Angel did the same thing. Angel is now 6 1/2 months old! We got him at 9 weeks old. I thought he would never stop biting and never lose his puppy teeth! Well, I have now collected 5 of his baby teeth (picked them up from around the house.) He is doing much better with play "mouthing" and is much more respondent to commands. Of course, having another dog helps! He really gets to beat up on our golden! Basically, keep letting him know that his "play" biting is not welcome and eventually, he will give up. They grow so fast! I think we sometimes forget that they are "babies!";)

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Some really good advice was given above. I just wanted to add that when you yelp or say ouch in a high pitched voice then ignore her, you can also put her in a timeout in her crate. She will eventually realize that what she is doing is not so much fun after all ;-)

Also for teething you can wet a wash rag and put it in the freezer for a bit and give it to her. This is very soothing on their gums when teething and free :)

·
Registered
355 Posts
I would definitely avoid escalating the physical violence; you can just turn away and ignore her when she bites, and withhold a premium resource - you. Another technique I used with one of my fosters was to wear heavy gloves when I picked him up. He'd bite and I wouldn't react; after a couple of weeks he stopped biting because it wasn't getting him anywhere, and I could lose the gloves. He wound up going to an elementary school teacher who took him everywhere!

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
my 11 weeks old play bites too. i play with her with so many different toys and she always go for my skin somewhere. I have tried to cry very loud and she is just having so much fun I don't think she cares. when she gets too bad i put her down. She was taken away from litter mates too soon and didn't learn from her mates biting hurts, so i am working with her. she will only be puppy so long so no real worry to me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I used to walk around with chew toys in my pocket so I could whip one out whenever my pup started biting. Nylabones work really well, and my pup always preferred those to my hand (luckily!) A firm NO with an assertive stance usually works too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts