Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am picking up my 10 week old puppy Honey next Friday.

We lost our 11 year old chihuahua, Benji, last November, so the time feels right to get another.

I'm so excited, i've got everything ready and in place for when she comes home! All books have been read, training treats are in place etc!

But i'm a little unsure of what to do when we first bring her into the house... Do i take her straight outside to wee (not planning on using puppy pads), then bring her in to explore (if so, is that all the rooms or just where she will mainly be?) Then does she need a sleep? If so do i start crate training first, as in straight away when she walks in? Am very confused, just want to make the transition as smooth as possible for her!

Thanks, Rachel xx

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
welcome to CP.This is what i did with mine.Came in and sat with her giving cuddles etc all very quietly, don't forget she may be nervous and it's all very strange ,let her just get used to one room at a time,showed her the water bowl,i did have pee pads to start as that is what she was used to peeing on,you will notice when she wants to sleep ,then i put her in her crate with lots of strokes and toys and a treat and made it a nice place that she would want to go in,if i was in the room i left the door open so she could come out when she was ready or go back in.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the quick reply, i think i will do just that - lots of cuddles when we first get home, then feed her etc calmly so she doesnt get stressed!

Planning on training her straight away, like the day after we get her - i.e. training to go to the toilet outside using rewards, the basic commands, chewtoy training - hope she takes to it and enjoys learning!

Of course, she will still need lots of cuddles, quiet time and sleep! Dont know how i'm going to fit it all in! :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Welcome!
Michele gave great advice. Just to avoid accident's Id probably introduce puppy to the backyard first. Just keep the environment calm and natural, and give lots of love and you will do great!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts