Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This dog is in rescue and they have her listed as a chi/doxie mix. I'm having trouble seeing the dachshund. Any opinions?
Dora

·
Registered
479 Posts
Maybe her size? Hard to tell from the pics how big she is. She looks long, but the again my 3.5 pound Corona is unusually long for the rest of her measurements. My "chiweenie" was exactly 10 pounds, but he had the floppy Doxi ears and also the short legs. He looked way more doxi but had the eyes of a chi. Anyway I'm
Just rambling. Do they know her history or is that just a guess. Whatever Dora is, she is adorable! Are ypu getting her????

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bio says she is "about" 8 lbs. Which is not an unusual weight for pet chi's. I have an application in with this rescue. I've been talking to the foster dad of this little girl:
Daisy Blue
and then noticed Dora get listed and wondered if I should meet both and take it from there. Daisy Blue is no longer chunky like in her pictures. I talked to her foster dad and he has gotten her to lose a whole pound. She is now 6.4 lbs. according to him.
Also, it says they pulled her (Dora) from a pound so I am assuming chi/doxi is just a guess.

·
Registered
479 Posts
That's a tough one! They are both darling!!! Yeah maybe meet them both and see which one "clicks" best with your personality! Corona was listed As a chi mix at the pound, but the concensous from the vet and people here are that she is pure. Maybe pounds don't list as pure unless
They know for sure?!?!! Corona was found dumped with her brother and sisters so they had no history.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, Marley was listed as chi mix as well. But he is pure chi, looks, temperament, personality - all of it. I love him so much!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
They tend toward saying mix so no one gets peeved at em. But I'd say they are both purebred. Unfortunately, purebred pet quality chis are a dime a dozen in shelters- we need more homes and less chihuahuas. That's that sad reality of it.

Doug is a purebred and was in the pound. He wasn't the only one either, not by a long shot. We get a ton of them and our area actually ships them up from california as well to try and get them homes. He wasn't a cali dog though- he was neglected/abused/dumped and found locally by animal control.

As for which to pick- that's up to you. Doug kind of picked me. He was the opposite of what I wanted. I wanted a girl, preferably spotted or black, and Doug is a red male. But he's my baby and he chose me right off the bat at the shelter, and by the second or third day he was coming when called and following at my heels off leash.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They tend toward saying mix so no one gets peeved at em. But I'd say they are both purebred. Unfortunately, purebred pet quality chis are a dime a dozen in shelters- we need more homes and less chihuahuas. That's that sad reality of it.

Doug is a purebred and was in the pound. He wasn't the only one either, not by a long shot. We get a ton of them and our area actually ships them up from california as well to try and get them homes. He wasn't a cali dog though- he was neglected/abused/dumped and found locally by animal control.

As for which to pick- that's up to you. Doug kind of picked me. He was the opposite of what I wanted. I wanted a girl, preferably spotted or black, and Doug is a red male. But he's my baby and he chose me right off the bat at the shelter, and by the second or third day he was coming when called and following at my heels off leash.
Marley is also the opposite of what I was looking for. I was looking for a female because I have a male shih Tzu and thought a female was the better way to go. But I just couldn't leave Marley in the shelter. No one was lined up to adopt him being an 8 year old male with one visually impaired eye and the other eye removed due to injury. Usually though, it is hard to adopt chi's in my area. You don't find them in shelters as often as other areas of the country. If you do and it's a female, you'll be fighting other potential adopters for her. Or the rescues pull her before you have a chance to adopt. Anyway, Dora apparently is meeting a family today so she may not even be an option. As for Daisy Blue, she is who I have been interested in but I am getting the feeling her foster is having a difficult time letting go.

·
Registered
703 Posts
When I was looking at Chihuahuas I just sat down and one picked me. Like others have said, maybe meeting them will make the decision easier. They are both very cute!

·
Registered
479 Posts

Yes, our local shelters here in Northern Cali are full of chihuahuas and pits. It's so sad. I didn't pick Corona either, she picked me. I didn't want a puppy, and I also wasn't sure if I was ready to adopt. I was totally committed to an older dog as I know they are harder to place than puppies. But Corona was so tiny and they were being very picky with her screening process and really urged me to at least consider fostering. Well one look at those eyes up close and personal and that was it! I really wish I had the time and patience to just get them all!i just don't understand how people can dump these little guys! Or the big guys as well!

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
They are both beautiful. I really like Daisy's colouring and the other one' sears. You'll know which one is meant to be with you when you meet them. I'll look forward to hearing all about it. :)

·
Registered
732 Posts

I wonder why this is? We too, in my neck of the woods, see a fair number of Chis come up for adoption in rescues. Hmmm...wonder why? Do you think it's just because chis are popular and therefore, bought by unassuming pet owners who have no idea what they are doing and then abandon, dump etc their Chi's? Or do you think Chis are the sort of breed most people can't handle and figure this out only after they get them?

As for Dora in the pic.....I grew up with Doxies and I don't see that in her at all. JMO.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wonder why this is? We too, in my neck of the woods, see a fair number of Chis come up for adoption in rescues. Hmmm...wonder why? Do you think it's just because chis are popular and therefore, bought by unassuming pet owners who have no idea what they are doing and then abandon, dump etc their Chi's? Or do you think Chis are the sort of breed most people can't handle and figure this out only after they get them?

As for Dora in the pic.....I grew up with Doxies and I don't see that in her at all. JMO.
Chi's are not easy dogs and I believe that is why they end up in shelters. Sadly, the are the #2 most euthanized breed in the country. They don't do well in shelters and they don't "show" well in shelters. Also, you have your Chihuahua lovers out there but on the whole it is not the most well liked small breed out there. It also depends on what area of the country you are in.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Chi's and unfortunately Pit Bulls. I'm from Chicago and Pit Bulls seem to dominate the shelters here. It is rare to come across a purebred chi in a shelter here too. They are mixed with everything under the sun. I have rescued cats before, but never a dog. As I am not a dog lover lol more so a chi lover who has a new found respect for all dogs. I have absolutely nothing against rescuing a chi if I ever came across one in a shelter that caught my eye. I am very picky though, and I do prefer to go through a reputable breeder.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts

Do you have any pics of your chi. We'd love to see her so that we can put a face to the name 😊

·
Registered
732 Posts
Chi's are not easy dogs and I believe that is why they end up in shelters. Sadly, the are the #2 most euthanized breed in the country. They don't do well in shelters and they don't "show" well in shelters. Also, you have your Chihuahua lovers out there but on the whole it is not the most well liked small breed out there. It also depends on what area of the country you are in.
Wow, I had no idea. That is so incredibly sad.:(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts