Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ember is about the same size as a "teacup" would be deemed, maybe a bit larger (though I know teacup does not exist) and looks exactly like a chi except her legs. Her legs are shorter and a little fatter. If you look at my avatar you can see the front part of her legs and her adorable face. Do you think she is a purebred?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Not sure what you're asking? The only way to really know if a dog is a purebred is if you'd met the parents and seen the pedigrees. Chi's do come in all shapes and sizes many that are far from the Standard.
You could do one of those DNA tests if you wanted to be certain. But I have heard some people submitting DNA of a pedigreed dog (just to test the accuracy) coming back as a weird kind of mix, so it's debatable just how accurate they are.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
As Kat said you can't know for sure unless you know the breeder, breeding, etc. There are chis who are not full bred who look like a pure bred chihuahua, and chis that are who look mixed. Your little one does not match the standard for the breed, but that doesn't mean she's a mix. She's adorable, and theres really no way to know for sure, so I wouldn't worry about it!

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Like others have said, she does not meet the breed standard. Size is just one of MANY criteria. You can see what qualities a judge will look for in a Show Quality chihuahua here: American Kennel Club - Chihuahua

That doesn't mean that she's a mix though. She could have a sire and dam who are both full blooded chis, but also not bred to Standard, which means that their offspring won't be, either. There are far more chihuahuas out there, far more on this board even, who do NOT meet the Standard for the breed, but are still full blooded chis.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, okay. She does seem to meet the standards to not be disqualified- it's just the slightly shorter and fatter legs that make me think she may not be purebred. However I know she probably is pure!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts