Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Winston is 5 months old and his testicles still haven't descended, is this normal? I had Ax neutered at 5 1/2 months coz he's an inside dog and he lifted his leg once or twice in the park so I knew it was just a matter of time before it was on my furniture. He only had one testicle descended at that stage but the other one was retained and the vet said where it was it never would have come down on its own so she was happy to do it then. I'm in no hurry to neuter Winnie (I was planning on around 6 months) because Chloe is spayed as are my mum's dogs and those are the only females he will ever come in contact with out of my supervision but I just thought it was a little late to have nothing happening down there?

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
I don't know, Toby's dropped at about 5 months and he was neutered at 6 months. But I just wanted to say that I have well wishes for Winston! I adore him!!!

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Harley's didn't drop until he was 8 months, so plenty of time for Winston yet
That's good to hear. Most people here seem to have their Chi's neutered by 6 months so I thought he was a really late bloomer or something.

But I just wanted to say that I have well wishes for Winston! I adore him!!!
He is such a charmer! He gets away with so much because he just has this angelic expression on his face that says "mummy, I want to be good I just don't know how".

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
8 months is definitely on the late side, I did worry his were never coming down! He only has one though, the other is still retained :(
I agree that Winston is completely gorgeous.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Yup it's normal, some just take a lil more time than others. Isn't it grand we don't have to have "the talk" with our furkids?! It's just like, "Now that you're old enough it's time to learn about the birds and the bees. Birds are prey which you eat; and bees sting you. Now, lets get those chopped off." LOL

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Okay, I disagree. That is not normal for them to not be down. Are you SURE they are not down, as in a vet checked? They are tiny until around when the dog starts to mature (7-8 mo usually). Both my male puppies have had their testicles down since 5 weeks. The males I have had to show had them down by 8 weeks at the latest. Testicles absolutely should be down by 12 weeks at the latest or you have a 'not normal' situation on your hands.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, I disagree. That is not normal for them to not be down. Are you SURE they are not down, as in a vet checked? They are tiny until around when the dog starts to mature (7-8 mo usually). Both my male puppies have had their testicles down since 5 weeks. The males I have had to show had them down by 8 weeks at the latest. Testicles absolutely should be down by 12 weeks at the latest or you have a 'not normal' situation on your hands.
The vet said they weren't there a few weeks ago when he was vaccinated and I haven't noticed a change since then. He needs to go back next week for his last shot so I will have her double check but compared to what Axle had (his one ball anyway) there doesn't appear to be anything there.

Yup it's normal, some just take a lil more time than others. Isn't it grand we don't have to have "the talk" with our furkids?! It's just like, "Now that you're old enough it's time to learn about the birds and the bees. Birds are prey which you eat; and bees sting you. Now, lets get those chopped off." LOL
hehe, you gave me a chuckle!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
It's not really a big deal so long as they can find them to neuter him LOL. It's just not normal for them to not be down yet, really. Some do take longer but NORMALLY testicles should really descend by 8-12 weeks.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I was going to disagree w/it being normal too. Typically they should be down by 8 weeks...sometimes it takes a few weeks longer. But yeah I'd be worried. It will be a more invasive surgery when they neuter him because they'll have to actually go inside to find them but he should come through it a-ok. Probably more similar to a spay. Will be more expensive too than a regular neuter. So...it's nothing to worry about so long as he IS neutered. If they're left inside they can become cancerous...or so I've read.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah Ax had a big incision to get his retained one out because it was really buried, he came out of it fine though. I think I will try and give Winnie as long as possible for them to drop to avoid that but he definitely has to be snipped, the breeder had me sign a contract and she will be chasing me up for the neuter certificate soon.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
My boys were both down by 5 months - that is to say, if you laid them on their back you could see them, like the teeniest, weeniest baby peas (she says, used to see her Mastiff's set swingin' in the breeze)

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Mylo's were both down by 8 weeks when he went to the vet for his vaccinations. I've read that they should be down by 6 weeks but can take up to 4 months in some dogs. On rare occasions it can take up to 7 months but if they're not down by then they're unlikely to come down on their own (askavetquestion.com)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I agree that his testicles should have dropped wayyyyyy before now. Retaining them is not normal at his age. Like others said, they usually appear before 12 weeks. If not, they are up in his abdomen and that is not a normal place for them to be. The body temp keeps them 'hot' and that's what predisposes them to cancer cells as they are meant to be down away from the body. I'd go ahead and get his neuter scheduled and get them out of there.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
sanji's have been there since i got him , cant see them to well but when i checked you could feel them , so maybe same with Winston ?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts