Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who are thinking of having their puppy shipped from the USA to the UK, you might want to reconsider!

Quarantine
Dogs entering the UK are required to undergo six months quarantine in kennels licensed by the Ministry of Agriculture Fisheries and
Food in England or by the Department of Agriculture in Scotland.
A new Pet Passport Plan is underway.
A license is required before entry and the animal must then be
taken from the port of entry to the quarantine kennels by a licensed Carrying Agent.
At the present time the regulations lay down that the animal
receives an approved anti rabies vaccine after arrival.
Full details of quarantine regulations and a list of kennels is
available from
MAFF, Hook Rise South, Tolworth, Surbiton, Surrey
or Department of Agri-culture and Fisheries for Scotland,
Chesser House, 500 Gorgie Road, Edinburgh EHi 13AW

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
Yes most in the UK know about this because we are a rabies free country so that is why quarantine is in place - it is a excellent idea and has protected our dogs :wave:

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
ozzysmom said:
Yes most in the UK know about this because we are a rabies free country so that is why quarantine is in place - it is a excellent idea and has protected our dogs :wave:
My thoughts exactly

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
My husband was checking things out as he wants to go back to England and he was under he impression that they are better now with that provided you can prove they have had a current rabies vaccine. :?: :?:

I told him I will never go under the other circumstances I would rather die than give up my babies for 6 mos. can u just imagine what their poor little souls would go thru? :cry:

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
No I can't and I really don't understand this. It seems like if you can show proof your dog is current on it's vaccinations and is healthy then a short quarantine would be just as good. I had a summer trip to the UK planned for next year to visit friends but I've cancelled it as Marcus is much more important than a visit.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
The reason we have it so strict is because we have been a rabies free country for many many years and we do not want it brought back in - not saying any of you would - but vaccination cards are easily forged etc and there is no definate way to prove other than the 6 month quarentine - I do know they are thinking about the pet passport and dogs with this do not have a problem getting into the country :wave:

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
quarantine laws in the uk were relaxed in 2000, a pet travle scheme was introduced that let you avoid quarantine providing you met certain criteria. this original law was orginaly for eu countries but in 2002 it was extended to include us and canada.

heres some of the rules in order dor the pet to be eligible
identified with a microchip
vaccinated against rabies (but not before it is 3 months old)
blood tested at an EU-approved laboratory and get a satisfactory result
issued with an EU pet passport or, in a non-EU listed country, a official third country veterinary certificate
treated against ticks and tapeworms

pets who do not meet the criteria do have to go through qaurantine so it does still exist!
mia
x

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Mia said:
quarantine laws in the uk were relaxed in 2000, a pet travle scheme was introduced that let you avoid quarantine providing you met certain criteria. this original law was orginaly for eu countries but in 2002 it was extended to include uk and canada.

heres some of the rules in order dor the pet to be eligible
identified with a microchip
vaccinated against rabies (but not before it is 3 months old)
blood tested at an EU-approved laboratory and get a satisfactory result
issued with an EU pet passport or, in a non-EU listed country, a official third country veterinary certificate
treated against ticks and tapeworms

pets who do not meet the criteria do have to go through qaurantine so it does still exist!
mia
x
That must be what my husband found--that sounds right! :D

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
the 'pet pasport' is now under full effect in th uk. you can take your dog from the usa to the uk so long as your dog is current on its pet passport. this passport is something that can ONLY be set up by your veternarian, and takes 6months to begin active from the starting date.
if your dog is a puppy, the vet will put that date in, the vet will then inclued ANY vacination dates, plus weights, health details and most importantly RABIES DATES.
the rabies vacination given must be a certain strain, i forget if its the live or dead strain they need but any vet familiar wiht the scheme will know, if not im sure there are websites with the details.
then 3 months before your due to travel the vet must give the dog a blood test, they will check for the rabies antibodies, and check for heartworm and any other parasites/infections that could infect local wildlife.
if the bloodtest comes up fine your free to travel into the uk with your dog while ommiting the nasty quarentine. so long as your dog is deemed fit to travel by your veternarian, EVEN with the passport your pet still has to have a health certificate.

many european countries dont have quarrentien, any of those places all that needed to travel in and out is a current health certificate from your vet, however the passport is a wonderfull idea as it also contains all your pets details incase of loss or emergency. and allows entry to most countries with quarrentine laws
i belive the only countries with quarrentine that arnt yet (but soon plan to) use the passport plan are hawaii, some smaller islands in the tropics and possibly australia unless thats changed reacently.

comming INTO the us however is VERY easy, so long as the dog has current immunization and a health certificate from your vet, your free to enter america, welcome to the land of the free!

we moved over here form england on a visa and didnt know whether we were getting our greencard so we put our spaniel on the passport program incase we had to go back. turns out after 5 yrs they gave us the card, but found it worth while to keep up to date on the passport, and when i got vixie i started her on it too, its easy, and if i ever want to travel it makes everything so much easier. because all the vet has to do, instead of writing out a full health certificate is stamp on and place it in the passport, you show the passport and all is well.
and being it also holds your microchip number, dog info and all your information, aswell as provide a number linking it to a database inwhich all your pets medical info can be acessed, its great to have in a pet emergency, the emergency vet has acces to everything they could ever need to know just from the one siple 'pet passport'

wow now it sounds like im advertising.

i do however think its a good idea! and definatly worth it, id rather have the extra check up than make my little girl spend 6months in puppy prison! specially since she gets so stressed when im not around.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts