Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so, I got a 2 year old chihuahua from my cousin. Now, when we took her home she was scared to death (this was a few days ago) and shes still scared now. The chihuahua will stay in the corner by the door all day and whenever anyone goes near her she'll growl and bite.

And the thing about this dog, is that her previous owner wasn't exactly the best.
They never called her by one name, they called her weirdo dog most of the time and they had died her green at one time. I'm not sure of this has anything to do with her behavior now or not.

Basically I'm asking of there is anything I can do to help her warm up to everyone and so she let's us pat her and make her less scared. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Take your time with her don't rush her,sounds as if she didn't have a very good home at all ,she will need patience,and love.Try and let her come to you don't force her.Offer her treats while you sit on the floor ,so your not over her and she feels threatend.I'm sure others will chime in with some good advise.Good luck

·
Registered
97 Posts
aww im glad shes now with you xxxx try and lie on the floor so your at her level and just be very patience and speak to her in a gentle voice and as soon as she realises your not a threat she will come to you its worth it in the end the love and affection she will give you is powering xx please let us know how she gets on xxxx

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi there!

That sounds like our dog was when we first got him. He was 7 months old, male and didn´t come from a good home.
He was shaking, had his tail between his legs nonstop and was scared to death of everything. He also didn´t want to go on walks.
After 4 months now, a lot of love, patience and being consequent, he has improved a lot.
He loves to go on walks now and is only weary and scared of new people. It has gotten so much better.
It´s not 100% yet, but we will keep working on it together.
If you do the same, I am sure your patience and love will pay off.
It just takes time.
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I recently rescued a chi from the shelter that had been abused to the point of a broken rib by her previous owner. It takes time for them and some things that helped my girl is move slow, speak in a quiet soft tone, don't grab at her but rather put a treat a few feet away from her and let her go to it. Slow baby steps and calm will help her.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts