Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How big of a fault is an underbite in a dog? Should a dog with an underbite autimatically be eliminated from a breeding program or would it be ok as long as the bitch has a good bite and his conformation is good otherwise? Is this a trait that is easily bred out?

I am interested in breeding in the future...I've already read two books on puppy obedience, three on chihuahuas and two on breeding...but still want to learn more. :)

Thanks,
Jessi

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Hi there! I have been breeding for 15 yrs and Yes it does exclude them from breeding. You never want to breed if they have any genetic default. IE.... under or over shot bite, lauxcating patella, floppy ears, etc....

I have a beautiful little boy Scooby I was going to use as a stud however discovered that he has a undershot bite and now cannot breed him. You want to always breed to enhance the quality of the Chihuahua. If your bitch has a longer head, you will want to breed her to a nice Cobby (apple head) male. You always try to exceed the quality of the stud to the faults of your bitch. Makes for beautiful puppies.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you... that is pretty much what I thought, unfortunately Charlie has an underbite, I was trying to decide if I should get him neutered or wait but I was pretty sure that I shouldn't breed him with the underbite...too bad he's so great otherwise his coat is really starting to come in. :(

I had another question about eye color, the standard says dark or luminous ruby but it also says light eyes are exceptable in blonde or white dogs. I guess I'm not sure what luminous ruby looks like? And what would it look like in a puppy? since their eyes change...Charlie's were blue/green when I got him.

Thanks,
Jessi :flower:

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Thats a normal color for a chocolate coat. Chocolate also have ruby eyes (red) along with lighter colored chis like white and cream. Is that what you where asking? LOL :lol:

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
In Breeding chihuahuas its best to always follow the AKC standard to get good quality. Another is to have sturdy Pedigrees even a nice looking stud or bitch could have sires or dams along the line with faults thats why its best to have a good breeder when your choosing your breeding quality to know all past history of there dogs. Another thing its not in best to choose a puppy as a stud or bitch for a breeding program so many things could go wrong with that puppy by the time its of breeding age. When looking for breeding quality start at about 6 months to 2 years old thats your best bet and find a good mentor to help you along the way who knows how to elavate dogs. Good Luck!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, for the info. We aren't planning to breed for a couple years but are trying to learn as much as possible about breeding and this breed. My fiance's aunt breeds and shows goldens and is very willing to help us but the breeds are so different there's only so much she can really teach us. :)

Charlie we have decided to have neutered because of the underbite, and also he's gotten bigger over the last month and we would rather use a smaller stud which I know we can find from someone else when we're ready or...its a good excuse to get another chi :)

Thanks again,
Jessi

·
Registered
99 Posts
i have a question also, not to hijack the thread or anything...

are so called "deer type" chihuahuas considered to be within AKC standard or is considered more as a fault? i never see them in dog shows so i'm just curious and i know it says they should be longer than they are tall or something like that.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I believe its a fault. It states in the AKC standards they should have an 'apple' shaped head with a shorter nose then the typical 'dear' shaped heads. I had hopes of possible breeding Tequila when I got her but I knew right away she was going to be bigger then standard and her head shape was not right....but since KJ said to breed the dear head bitches with the apple studs maybe it isnt a fault.... :? Soooo much more i need to learn :wink:

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Yeppers,

Breed to a male that has stronger points than the female. So Jess if she has a dear head, then breed her to a really nice cobby (applehead) and she should produce a nice litter, with some really strong cobby heads and some in between and some that are the dear head. Then you keep a nice cobby from that litter and breed it to a nice cobby and Viola! :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey sorry to bombard, I don't think my post got to this thread, but I have a long cost chihuahua who had what they call a cherry eye - which was where her third eye lid popped out. She's fine now - fixed with an operation but was thinking of breeding hervwith my beautiful apple dome smooth coat male, but worried that she may carry the fault onto her puppies. What's the chances of the fault carrying on to her pups as the breeder said that none of her parents had this but may have been her grandparents who had this fault.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts