Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I know some of you here foster and/or are involved in rescue.

I have a question related to a thought/idea I am having.

I am pondering (just in the initial thoughts of this idea) fostering.

BUT.......I want to ONLY foster ONE Chihuahua at a time. AND, I want to foster a senior/special needs dog that can not be placed. In other words, I would be willing to take on a Chi that will never be adopted out.

Like I said, I ONLY want one at a time. And, I also do NOT want a dog that is gonna be adopted out at some point.

I also don't want to adopt it myself. Why? Because if I continue to ONLY foster the seniors/special needs that would, of course, be higher in vet bills etc. I don't want to be running into spending thousands of dollars a year, for many years to come (over the course of multiple dogs) for the rest of my life! If I adopted that WOULD be the case.

So, am I being realistic? Am I out to lunch?

Can someone set me straight on this possibility?

And, I am still sort of running it about in my head at this stage. What got me thinking about it was my Bella. She would have been UN-adoptable in her last years. I shudder to think what would have happened to her had something happened that she would have been put into the foster/rescue system. I would want to know that someone would care for her until her dying days and that she knew she was loved and cared for.

·
Administrator
9,991 Posts
No there is permanent fosters. Dogs that we will not adopt out due to health issues mostly. Also a lot of seniors need a place to rest their head in the final days. Talk to a rescue and explain to them what you posted here and I know it can be helpful

·
Registered
85 Posts
I don't know about Ontario but here in BC if you are fostering a dog from the SPCA and NOT adopting, the SPCA will still cover the vet bills. A family friend adopted a dog from a hoarding situation, and didn't officially sign all the papers until after she passed all the medical stuff and was checked for being pregnant/ getting spayed. This is why a lot of the senior/ special needs are in foster basically permanently.

With rescues it's probably different, but I would call the SPCA and find out what their stance is on it in your province.

·
Administrator
9,991 Posts
If it is a permanent foster the rescue still covers the bills. That is they way it has been with those I have worked with as there is a reason we are not adopting the pup out.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it is a permanent foster the rescue still covers the bills. That is they way it has been with those I have worked with as there is a reason we are not adopting the pup out.
Yeah, that was what I was kind of getting at. I mean, I don't want to sound cheap. I don't mind normal, every day costs of clothing, feeding, heck even just routine vet costs. But if this is something I really end up doing I could potentially have a senior/special needs dog for the next 20 years (over multiple dogs as they pass and I take on another one). I can't do a lifetime of special needs medical bills. I know Bella (my last dog) was a VERY expensive dog to keep as she was diabetic. I loved her and didn't hesitate to pay those bills because, well, that's just how it was. But I can't do that for the next 20 years.

Does that make sense? Gosh, I feel like I sound like I am cheap and uncaring but....well, just being realistic.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope I fully understand as most of our permanent fosters were cancer patients.
Thanks so much for your info! We are building a house and moving in May(ish). Once we are moved I think I will seriously look into this. I think it could be really rewarding and literally change the life of a dog.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I have a very good friend who run/owns a rescue organization here in Nashville. I've spoken to her about the possibility of fostering a special needs/senior/otherwise unadoptable dog. She is tickled with the idea and has a couple other folks who do the same thing.

It saves her the enormous headache and heartache of coming across a pitiful rescue that she KNOWS is not adoptable, but not being able to take it (pretty much guaranteeing it will be euthanized) because she has nowhere for it to be on a more permanent basis. Having foster people who will take on these high needs animals is like gold to her! She is more than happy for her rescue to cover the costs involved, knowing that the animal will have a loving, caring home for whatever time it has left.

I think it's a wonderful idea. It allows those of us who are nurturers at heart, who want to love more animals but just can't afford the cost of them, to contribute something very special and difficult for these rescue organizations to find, while also being able to stay within our own financial or logistical boundaries.

A win/win scenario.....the very best kind!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts