Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Our puppy is about 10 weeks old. Sometimes when we are playing with her she will suddenly turn very aggressive. She will growl and act like she wants to tear you up. When she does this, we pick her up and put her in the bathroom with the door closed for about five minutes. Does anyone know why she does this? Other then the little violent seconds she is doing great for us.

Lynnda

·
Registered
661 Posts
It probalby is just her way of playing - how she would with other puppies.... or saying something's scared her.

In my puppy's training class, the instructor advised us to do a "time-out" either in crate or with their leash attached to something out of view of you (and family) for 30 seconds (or 30 seconds after they quiet down). She said a puppy lives in 3 second intervals, so 30 seconds is quite a bit of time for them. Five minutes for punishment or cooling off is probably way more time than she needs and she may not associate that time away from you as her signal to calm down.

I also found out after my puppy learned to sit, that was a great way to calm him down when he got too rowdy or agressive too. He knows if he sits still for a few seconds he will get a tasty treat and that's way better than running 1000 miles an hour thru the living room (at least for a couple minutes!)

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I would also try and distract her from ripping you to shreds by getting a stuffed toy for her that she can play with in that manner. She's probably just trying to do normal puppy play but it also might be an early attempt at dominance. When she comes at you with the aggressive behavior, just put the toy between the two of you and try to get her to bite - both literally and figuratively. Soon, she'll learn the toy's for the aggression and you are not. Plus, if she dominates the toy, it's no big deal.

Cooper has his "moo-cow" and, even at 2 1/2 years old, when he feels like taking out his aggressions on someone, he picks up MooCow and thrashes him around to get it out of his system. He's already killed 3 of the moo-cows. I hope Petsmart never runs out of them. To be on the safe side, I have 6 more hiding in the coat closet. :D

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
that's pretty normal puppy behaviour ....eventually you can say auuww when she biting too hard ...they will quickly learn when they are b iting too hard :wave: give lots of chewtoys :wink:

kisses nat

·
Registered
897 Posts
Angel will do that. I don't have a problem with light growling but when she starts getting carried away, playtime comes to a quick halt. She would never do anything harmful but I don't want "acting vicious" to become a habit.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Jemini is just starting to do that , but when she does that i just stop and she knows that if she wants me to keep playing with her she has to stop . and she does! :D

·
Registered
402 Posts
Eek my puppy does that as well! Someone told me I should put him in his crate when this happens but I think that is not a good idea. I dont what him to start having negative feelings towards his crate. His crate is his safe place and a place that I want him to like, not loath going into!!!!

·
Registered
661 Posts
NaliaLee said:
Eek my puppy does that as well! Someone told me I should put him in his crate when this happens but I think that is not a good idea. I dont what him to start having negative feelings towards his crate. His crate is his safe place and a place that I want him to like, not loath going into!!!!
I don't use Tico's crate for this just because it's downstairs in my bedroom, and we are always upstairs in the livingroom/kitchen... so by the time we got downstairs, his 30 seconds would almost be up! And like you said, he's really good about being in his crate. I don't want him to resent it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts