Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Daisy has terrible allergies... My vet says it is flea allergies. She has horrible bouts of itching along her back and base of her tail. I have recently switched her to a raw diet. I do NOT want to use chemicals on her to keep fleas off of her so I was going to order the Halo herbal shampoo to bathe her and then the dip to mist her with...

How often would I need to mist her with the dip in order to repel the fleas? It does not say on the website how long it lasts. She only goes outside to potty, she stays in most of the time.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Fleas are a huge problem, and once they take hold its hard to get rid of them with out chemical, you will find them in your house also and in her bedding. I personally use advantix and we have no problem, I hope you can get rid of them with your herbal wash.

·
Registered
187 Posts
My basenji has a severe allergy to fleas too, she comes out in HUGE lumps if she gets bitten, so i try to keep her away from other dogs I dont know as much as possible - you can treat your own dogs but you never know which other dogs are covered in them!

Im in the UK so i dont know the brand you mention, but I use something called Dorwest Herbs Pennyroyal shampoo on her which is a herbal shampoo. It has a strong minty smell which apparently keeps fleas away.

I bath her maybe once a month in the shampoo, i dont have any mist stuff for her. Obviously I flea treat all of my pets regularly and we have yet to have a flea appearance, but as a precaution I also treat my carpets and furniture maybe 3 or 4 times a year, more often in the summer than the winter. Her allergy has cleared up loads since i've been on this regime, but still at shows occassionally she gets a lump or two, I think its from other dogs carrying the fleas and them jumping on and biting her.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
where I live there are fleas no matter what on all animals, so we use advantix once a month every month. I have no option I have used special soaps and shampoos in the past but they never work the advantix works really well.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a REALLY bad scare from a cheaper spot-on treatment. I should have known better than to put it on my baby, but I did it thinking I was saving money and helping my dog, and she almost died. Now, I want to stat away from chemicals if possible. We do not have a flea infestation, but like Chiva said, I am worried about fleas from other peoples' dogs, or worried that a flea may "wonder" into my fenced area. lol I will try the herbal stuff and let you guys know how it works, if I have to, I will go back to comfortis or advantix

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
i swear by advantix never had a problem and have been using it every month for years, I dont like the idea of chemicals either but when I weigh it up a small amount of chemical is better then Honey being constantly annoyed and bitten by fleas

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
In the cooler months, the herbal shamppo will probably be okay. During the hot summer months, I can't imagine that it will work if you go outside at all.

We also use Advantix without any problems or infestations.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Midgie has flea allergies too. We do some little things to keep the fleas away. My vet don't even want to use the chemicals on her. In the summer when we go camping, we treat the front yard with an insect killer as this is where she hangs out the most. If it doesn't rain & wash the insect treatment into the ground, we spray the yard with a hose, and I'll take Midgie out the backyard for a few days.
You can add a few drops of apple cider vinegar to her food--fleas don't like it. Keep her bedding washed and if you use vaccuum bags, get rid of them after every vaccuuming as they can hold flea eggs. I bathe my chi with Johnson's baby shampoo or a natural moisturizing shampoo that I got from the vet called Hylite. I made a terrible mistake once and used the Hartz flea & tick shampoo and she had a bad reaction and broke out in hives. I knew better, don't know why I chanced it.
If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts