Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tedious/ common topic, I know.
But- how can you tell the difference between marking in the house and accidents? Leo has been really frustrating me lately. I hate having him spend so much time in his pen, but I feel like EVERY time he gets more freedom he has an accident. We just got home from a walk, not a long one as its only his 3rd walk, maybe 15-20 minutes. He peed and pooped, so when we got home I thought it would be a good opportunity to give him a bit of playtime with Reese and Miley. I had him up on our bed, against my better judgment, to get a few pics of him in his new harness. Within two minutes he peed on our duvet. He peed on it this morning too, after coming in from 20 minutes outside and pottying in the yard. Laundering and taking the duvet cover on and off our king size duvet is easily top 5 on my list of least fav tasks around the house, and Ive had to wash it three times is as many days due to his accidents. He has also developed the obnoxious habit of peeing UNDER our bed. We do have a carpet shampooer, but its a hassle and it is very very difficult to move our king size bed to clean the carpets. We have four dogs, but Im pretty compulsive about keeping the house clean and will just not have my home or my bedroom reeking of pee. So, he is no longer allowed to be free in our room or on the bed.
I just dont get it, he can potty outside and then come in for a little free time and have an accident within 5 minutes. I hadnt planned on neutering him, at least not for a few years as I was planning to show him, but if this is how bad hes going to be its out of the question!! He has never had an accident in his pen, and from getting him at over 10 weeks he has been able to hold it all night, so I KNOW he is capable. So is this male marking, or simply a matter of him not being housebroken?

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
You might want to have him checked for a bladder infection it sounds like he is going potty quite a bit for such a young pup. My girls (Zoey & Ziva) have limited freedom at the moment due to potty accidents. Ziva can handles an exercise pen without having accidents at the moment, but can't have a blanket in her crate. Zoey can handle the crate/blanket, she can't handle any sort of freedom for any length of time (she pees & poops) without even making an effort to use the box. Drives me NUTS! So we are taking it slowly and Zoey will gradually have to earn her freedom.

ETA: When boys mark they generally lift their leg and they usually don't get hormones until they are 5-6 months old. Hormones are usually what makes them mark. However if you are going to have an intact dog, you might want to look into Belly Bands....Sebastian was intact till he was a year old and after about 6 months he had to have a belly band as he thought any standing object was the object of his marking.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Hm I agree I'd get him checked

Boys do pee a lot more than girls he's still very very young (14 weeks??) he should have more control but it may just be he doesn't get it they start maturing. Around 6 months which is when marking can occur!!

I dunno if this helps but does he follow your others out?? Lotus goes pee way more than daisy but she trots off out after daisy and I found it v easy to hpusebreak her but I think that was daisys doing

Also maybe he mistook your bed for a pad?? They're soft too

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
freakin dexter pees a lot too but thats because he loves runnin around and then drinkin loads of water...also he marks a bunch. i know the diff between his pees and marks by the amounts thats on whatever he did it on. a little tinkle tinkle for marks and puddle full for pees.

a mark mark here and a mark mark there here a mark there a mark everywhere a mark mark! -_- he marks his toys too which is annoyin...i'll have to wash them soon

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Some of my boys pee on their toys, too. And they used to pee on their beds before I moved them away from by the sliding back door. Easier to pee on them than walk two feet and pee outside. Now that they are away from there, the beds are safe, but toys and other objects in the room are fair game.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
a little tinkle tinkle for marks and puddle full for pees.
This is probably a good description of how to tell the difference. Not quite how I would have worded it but you get the point! lol

Our Glory marks in the house and you can always tell if it's marking or an accident. Marking involves just a little bit of liquid but an accident will involve a nice big patch of urine from a full bladder.

Peeing in the house after 5 minutes doesn't sound like a full bladder to me but who knows.

Is Leo comfortable going potty outside? If he's not comfortable going outside he might just be marking outside, or peeing a little bit to make you happy, and saving his pee for inside where he feels more comfortable and safe. It's very common for pups to be afraid of pottying outdoors and saving it for a safe place inside...like under your bed.

If it is in fact marking then the belly band may be a good idea. My mother in law had an intact male who marked all the time. She had him wear a belly band at all times when indoors and took it off when he was outside. She used the belly band for years and it saved her loads of time, cleaning, and money.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
We don't let Bryco on the bed or anything we don't want to wash repeatedly LOL. He is *SUCH* a little pill. How old is Leo now? Bryco was marking by 4 months of age. I don't care what anyone says, some mature earlier than others.

If its just a sprinkle, it's marking. It is NOT peeing, LOL. Unless they have an infection. I know some here will recommend taking him to a vet for a clear on a UTI, but tbi I think they start younger than we realize sometimes, and just don't have the balance to lift their leg yet.

Someplace like your bed is smelly to a dog. LOL even if you keep it really clean, think about it, you sleep there and your scent is all over it, probably moreso than most places in your house, so your dog wants to let you know he thinks its his, too. Bottom line, we don't let B on the bed without a belly band. If you need recommendation for good bellybands, just let me know ;)

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Pepper was lifting his leg and marking outside since I got him at 6 weeks old. I had never heard of a dog that young lifting their leg to pee before. But, I am so happy, he is completely house broken...for now at least. lol In the night, if he has to potty, he will jump off the bed and use the pee pad in my bedroom. If he has to go and I have the dog door shut because the dogs want to stand outside and bark at neighbors in their own backyard, he will whine for me to let him out. Just hope it sticks.

·
Registered
245 Posts
The way I can tell when Peebo marks is he lifts his leg to do it when he pees he doesnt. Like when I take him for a walk he will stop lift his leg and mark, at home he kinda squats or when he's lazy just stands there and pees!
I dont give him freedom through the whole house he just gets the livingroom and kitchen I have had to block all entry if not he will pee and any area rug in sight. Maybe try and just keep him in one part of your house and watch him like a hawk. Good luck hope it works out.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for your feedback! He was at the vets today for his last round of shots and checked out well, vet didnt think it sounded like a bladder infection just because he is able to nicely hold it all night or anytime he is in his pen.
He is right around 4 months and Kristi I think youre right I really think it is marking. He pees so frequently that I think he really must be trying to mark, and he never seems to miss an opportunity to pee on the bed! I hope we dont have to go the belly band route, but sounds like we might have to if he hasnt improved within a few weeks. Lol Pidge it usually does seem to be for of a quick tinkle than a full pee! He loves to play outside and doesnt seem to mind being out their exploring so I dont think hes uncomfortable pottying out there, but I hadnt thought of that so Ill watch him with that in mind and see.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
hehe yay! so glad he is okay ;) tinkle tinkle! everytime i go to the bf's place with him he holds his pee AND marks very good in his apt till we go outside which is hours hours hours away from his last pee and he lifts his leg for atleast a minute leaving a nice puddle LOL!...i just dont get why he doesn't mark there but marks in my house...lol...gah! he used to pee at his apt but my bf is more alpha than him and dexter knows not to do anything silly or he'll get the deathlook haha! hes always being submissive twds him too :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts