Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

As some of you may already know that I just took home my lil guy yesterday. He is 7 weeks old, he's paper train and creat train too. Seems like too good to be true :p . My question is that when ever hes awake he likes to play and he will cry if he doesnt. Is this normal? Last nite I woke up like 3 times just to play with him. Seems like my puppy only sleep 4 hours at a time until he wakes up again. I wish he can sleep at least 6-8 hours. Last question is he love to chew on everything even my fingers. Is this normal? Thanks for your reply as this is my frist Chi that I've ever own.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Hes only a baby and probably teething thats why he is chewing everything and the same goes for the waking up in the night, he does it not so much for playing but he wants company, he will keep it up as long as you keep coming into him, but the crying breaks your heart so you will soon be like the rest of us and bring him to your bed so you can get some sleep :D

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
can I say "I wouldnt count ur chickens" over the crate and toilet training yet cos the pup is sooo young and 7 weeks is very young to take a chi home. The pup will sleep a lot but it will be irregular till he finds a pattern. As for the chewing ur little guy is teething :)

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
sullysmum said:
Hes only a baby and probably teething thats why he is chewing everything and the same goes for the waking up in the night, he does it not so much for playing but he wants company, he will keep it up as long as you keep coming into him, but the crying breaks your heart so you will soon be like the rest of us and bring him to your bed so you can get some sleep :D
I abused Cooper when he was a pup ... he has never been in my bed. It's not my bed anyway, it's OmaKittys. :lol:

You may want to get your pup a baby teething ring that you freeze to help with the teething. They also sell different things for puppies that are teething - I tried the "chilly bone" when Cooper was little but he never cared for it much.

Puppies are like babies - you'll be up every 4 hours or so, tending to him until he grows out of that "infant" stage. He will eventually sleep all night long - and so will you. :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How would I know if hes been create and paper train? He seems to love his creat and wouldn't make any sound when I lock him up for 15 mins at a time. (learn that from the books) He poops on the paper like he suppose to so I though that hes all set :( Thank you guys :lol:

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Yes it's too early for teething...

Puppys at that age love to put everything in their mouth...the love to nibble, suck, lick...everything is brand new to them so that's why the love to nibble on fingers and such.

Around 3 moths I think that is when nibbling/chewing gets more aggressive. My vet told me they have to push their new teeth through so around that time (age wise) is when it gets more intense because they're preparing for the adult teeth.

and about potty training...trust me, when you can leave your dog home alone without wee wee pads because your dog can hold it until you get home...that is when your dog is housebroken...until t hen it is a work in progress...just when you think you got it down, they have a regression....but keep at it...be diligent...so yes...sorry to break it to you, but potty training is not so easy...LOL....praise him every time he pees and poos where he is supposed too...make a big production out of it... I do the pee pee dance with Gizmo....I jog in place and sing "Gizmo went outsideeeeeeeee" LOL....and he jumps around in circles too.... :D

good luck with your baby :D

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Having a young puppy is almost the same as having an infant child. :lol: It's normal for him to wake several times during the night. He's just a baby.

You are heading in the right direction with the housebreaking, but I wouldn't get too complacent just yet. If only it were that easy..... :lol:

Gizmo's mom - Jazzy and I do the pee pee dance too. :oops: Thought I was the only one that acted like a wierdo... :D

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Sounds like your baby is off to a good start. I would make sure to have a toy or chew toy for him and give it to him anytime he tries to chew on your fingers as this is a bad habit you don't want to get started. He will eventually start to sleep thru the nite although it doesn't seem likr it when you wake up every 4 hours :lol:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
SunnyFLMum said:
.and about potty training...trust me, when you can leave your dog home alone without wee wee pads because your dog can hold it until you get home...that is when your dog is housebroken...until t hen it is a work in progress...just when you think you got it down, they have a regression....but keep at it...be diligent...so yes...sorry to break it to you, but potty training is not so easy...LOL....praise him every time he pees and poos where he is supposed too...make a big production out of it... I do the pee pee dance with Gizmo....I jog in place and sing "Gizmo went outsideeeeeeeee" LOL....and he jumps around in circles too.... :D

good luck with your baby :D
LOLOLOL! I do Jolie the same way i did my kids when they were potty training..I clap and sing "YAYYYYY! Jolie pottied on the paper, such a good baby girl!!!" She always comes running to me! Even my husband says "YAYYYY Good Girl Jolie!" I though we were weird...lol...guess not. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts