Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, first time poster here.

My fiancee and I have an amazing 10 month old female short-haired Chihuahua named Bella. We really want to get a male so she can have a "cuddle partner". (The real reason is my fiancee is a teacher and she goes back home for the summer while I have to stay where we work because of my job, and I don't think I can be without my dog for two whole months :D)

Bella is spayed, but we may not be able to have the male neutered for a while since there is no local vet here. I am just wondering if this will cause any problems with his behaviour towards Bella, or just in general.

Also, I know there are differing opinions but I was wondering at what age would be a good time to have him neutered? I have only ever owned female dogs, so I'm not sure if it's different for males.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
If you do not want him to lift his leg and mark then you would need to neuter by 6 months. You shouldnt have any issues between him and Bella until maybe 5 months or so but with her being spay it probably will not be anything major. They will probably mount each other but this will be due to dominance and not sexual.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts