Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all:
I hope you don't mind a non-chi related question. I know you all are so good at diagnosing problems and coming up with solutions.
My daughter has a 1 year old boston terrier. Maggie has been pee pad trained and has been really good for months now. All of a sudden, she is peeing in front of my daughter all the time. Like daughter was sitting on the couch and Maggie just squatted and peed right in front of her. This has happened a number of times during the past few days. I thought maybe it was a UTI, but she said she isn't peeing more frenquently or amount. Just doing this in front of her thing. SHe is married and the dog never does it in front of her husband. So, what do you think? She catches her in the act and quickly puts her on her pad, tells her no, etc. but doesn't know why, all of a sudden she is doing this.
Thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
It could be a UTI?! Sounds strange that she only does it in front of your daughter. Almost like she's trying to tell her something's wrong. I'd have her checked out.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know. It's so weird. She was thinking that maybe she needed to pay more attention to her so has been making sure that she is the one doing the walks after work etc. I'll tell her to call the vet just to get that checked out.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
It's just something that doesn't sound normal to me. If it was more attention, she'd be jumping on her, tugging at her shoe strings or something like that. By getting her checked out, she can rule out any kidney infection or UTI.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'd take her to the vet first. but since its only in front of the daughter, i might think a bit behavioral. Has anything changed in their routine or what not to throw the dog off? I honestly don't have a way to fix that, lol but its worth a look into seeing of anything changes. sometimes its only little things can throw dogs off. I once rearranged my living room and salem hid in the bedroom for a day and half....he dun like change LOL

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know. She is in the navy and both her and her husband work. But her schedule has been home and she gets home early (3:30) every day. Nothing's really changed that she can think of. I almost wonder if it's a dominance thing with her for husband's affection, you know? I know when she was here over Christmas with Maggie, Bruiser was not happy with her and when she walked through the kitchen, he peed on her leg. He has NEVER done that before to anyone. But he was pissed that she came home with another dog. I don't know. Maybe it's her. LOL

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Laurel will pee in plain sight just to get attention...it doesnt sound like the same thing, but, yeah, she'll walk right up to you and pee directly in front of you with this spiteful look in her eyes!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Laurel will pee in plain sight just to get attention...it doesnt sound like the same thing, but, yeah, she'll walk right up to you and pee directly in front of you with this spiteful look in her eyes!
What do you do about it?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Idk...stare in shock?? :( Say "NO!" and "OUTSIDE!"...she hasn't done it for awhile but there was about a month where she thought it was the "it" thing to do. She's like 7 too!

·
Registered
150 Posts
I dunno it could be dominance, i suppose? but i really doubt it. are there any other signs of dominance? i know some signs are pushing first in and out of doors, ( i'm talking kinda frantic have to be first or i'll just die or actual shoving which is hard to judge on small dogs type thing, its really not a big deal for 99% of dogs) guarding of the husband when she's around.

and haha he just wanted to make sure she knew who she belonged too I'm sure ;) salem did that too me once in a dog park LOL. "MINE!" he said.

the only thing i can suggest is maybe a tether system? It may work but you have to be quick and alert to the dog. you just plop a harness on, and a retractable or longish leash and tether to yourself. that way if she starts sniffing for a spot ( if she does that, see i'm not sure if she's looking, or just belligerently peeing while glaring lol ) your daughter can pop up and take her out, then there is no wait. and then you can praise and give her happy dances or treats if she goes outside. it may help if its a bonding issue, happy times with mommy you know ;),

I want to say i read an article about this, and i'll be darned if i can remember it. the tethering is really for those sneak off and pee type, but it helps the dog not fail, and continues positive reinforcement. so if nothing else it will help with saving her carpets LOL. Just ideas, I still say get her to a vet, just in case, and have your daughter trying doing some fun things with her pup, like learn a new trick or something for some bonding just in case :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Idk...stare in shock?? :( Say "NO!" and "OUTSIDE!"...she hasn't done it for awhile but there was about a month where she thought it was the "it" thing to do. She's like 7 too!
LMAO Duke will pee inside and not on his pad if i decide i have to pee first in the mornings. i tell him no and he looks at me like " what? you took too long" -_- no remorse what so ever. and really its my fault, its generally by the back door LOL

is it me or are all the "spiteful" peeing female dogs ;) we are just a catty gender ;) ( a joking generalization of course ;) )

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I wish I had some advice but I don't =( Hope your daughter can get her to the vet to see what is up, if it's not for attention. It's funny how they do stuff like this out of the blue. Hope it's nothing too serious! Keep us updated!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts