Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a long thread about the raw diet on here, but couldn't quite find an exact answer to my question, but I think I know it. Basically, I have been feeding my three ZiwiPeak since I got them (Diesel in May, Mole in June and Elvis in September), but have decided to dry frozen raw. I went to my local pet store this weekend and picked up Nature's Variety Chicken Medallions and started them on it yesterday.

First off, they love it. I thought they loved ZiwiPeak, but wow, they eat this even faster, as in I have to hold back the ones that finish first, so they do not eat each other's food. Well, yesterday, the diarrhea started up, but it is more like a jelloish consistency (sorry to be disgusting). I seem to remember this happening when I switched them to ZiwiPeak (they are all adopted and were on the usual non-healthy foods), but I am not sure if this is normal. Btw, they are acting normal and happy and playful, so no change in personalities.

Any thoughts or advice? Should I maybe add some pumpkin to help the transition or will it go away in a few days? I have pedialyte on hand from when Diesel was sick and the vet recommended adding it to water to help with the virus.

Also, for you raw people, I read all about bones for them to eat or chew on, but what kind and where can I find them? Is this something I order or go to a butcher or what? Sorry for the newbie questions.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I think the loose stools are just due to a quick switch in foods from the Ziwi to the frozen raw. Maybe just go a little slower to start. For example, pinch off just a little bit from the NV and feed it along with ZP. Most dogs can tolerate Ziwi and raw. There are some that need them totally separate, so it's kind of a trial and error thing. The NV is bone heavy, so I would expect stools to firm up pretty quickly.

I wouldn't worry about a couple of loose stools. If they persist, then yes - it's OK to give a little pumpkin. Again, a case of knowing your own dogs, what is normal for them, etc.

You don't need to order bones. Are you wanting to feed for dental health? Or as an occasional meal? You can start out with chicken wings or necks if you want. I like and recommend cornish hens as they are a great size for chi's. Most of them are 1 pound, so if you whack up into about 8 chunks - that's 2 ounces each which is a typical meal.

If you want a longer lasting chew, then I'd recommend bully sticks. You can also do pork or beef ribs once they have acclimated to variety in the raw diet.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Mucousy stools seem to be fairly common when switching to raw. I know Spacely went through a day or two where his stool was mucuousy but then it was fine. It had been 10 years or more since I switched an adult dog to raw that I was concerned but a raw feeding group assured me it was normal but to consult a vet if it continued.

It did not continue.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reassurance and advice. I just get very paranoid about them when I am at work. Thinking about setting up a webcam on the area I keep them in, so I can calm my obsession down (yeah, I have a problem. haha).

I will add a some ZiwiPeak to the meal to help and make the transition smoother (pun intended). The bones were just as a treat. I currently use bully sticks, so I will probably stick with them, since I want them just for chews to keep them occupied and as a treat.

Also, another thing I have always wondered. Any opinions on whether to feed once or twice a day? I usually do twice, but I have heard it doesn't really matter. Just wondering.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I feed twice a day but I know others who just feed once! Once a day for a tiny dog just doesn't seem like much food and a long time between meals, so I always opt for two.

I think the webcam idea is a great one! :)

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok got home from work and took for an extended walk. Diesel "did work" and his was nice and solid. The others haven't gone today, but I think that is a good sign so far.

Tracy and Denise, thanks so much for the info and input. Now I can concentrate on things like being able to set up a webcam to watch the pups on my phone or computer at work. If only I could find a way to be able to talk to them where they can hear me. Hmmmmmm....haha

·
Registered
96 Posts
Spacely, 7 lbs, is fed twice a day. Tinsel, 43 lbs, is fed once a day (in the evening) She doesn't seem to mind not being fed in the morning but will go be certain Spacely ate everything (he never leaves anything)

If Spacely was larger, I would probably do once a day with him but since he is so small, I don't like him going that long between meals or him eating 4.5% of his body weight at once time.

Tinsel did start out at 2xs a day as a puppy but we gradually moved her to once a day after she was about a year old, maybe 18 months. It has been awhile so I don't remember for sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts