Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little chi Chico is losing his hair. His skin has tan spots of dry skin. He's losing hair in those areas, mostly on back and toward tail and legs. He's scheduled for a vet visit next Thursday for his final shots. Last visit, vet gave us an antibiotic. She said it looked like food allergy. I'm in the process of switching his food from Purina Puppy Chow whick he was being fed by owner, to Blue Buffalo Life Protection Chicken and Oatmeal. It has no wheat, corn or soy.
Any ideas of what is happening to his skin and coat?

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
What color is Chico? It will take some time for his system to get used to the new food (up to 12 weeks). Did the vet do a skin scraping to check for parasites on the skin?

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I'm guessing by the sounds you'll see a TREMENDOUS difference with the food switch. The purina's main ingredient is corn which is the #1 cause for allergies in dogs. If he is still having problems on the Blue Buffalo - I'd find a formula that doesn't contain chicken as it's another allergy common in dogs.

But the switch you are doing now will more than likely eliminate any skin problem. *fingers crossed* :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I forgot to mention Chico's color. He is fawn with white on top of head (which is growing back after it all fell out). He also has white on chest. His belly is pink and healthy looking. That is why I am concerned. Most of his skin is pink except where the tan patches are. You can see them in bright light. If you pet him reverse of how his hair grows, it feels like sandpaper. I could be that short hair is growing back, but I'm not sure. I hope this new food helps.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I would make sure to have the vet do a skin scraping to make sure what you're seeing is not the result of mange mites. Because if so he will do much better being treated sooner rather than later. :)

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
You can also supplement him with salmon oil that improves their skin and coat dramatically!!!

It does sound like a food issue

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info. I'm going to make sure the vet takes a skin scraping this coming Thusday when Chico gets his final shot. I want to make sure it's not a mite problem.
The night we brought him home, I found 3 fleas on him. Gave him a bath in blue Dawn and rinsed him very good. No more fleas. I don't see anything crawling on his skin. He really doesn't have much hair. His long silky hair is starting to grow in. That is almost like the maltese hair. His hair on his shoulders is nice and full. He's had another bath with puppy shampoo, and a few days ago I bathed him with Sulfodene Medicated Shampoo. I use the Sulfodene on my peke, Shanghai, because he has dry skin. I give him cod liver oil to reduce his shedding. And his coat is beautiful shiny black. I figured it wouldn't hurt the pup and he is not scratching as much as before.
My hubby thinks I'm being neurotic, but I want whats best for my dogs. They can't talk and tell us what's wrong.
P.S. this website is fantastic. I've been reading all the posts, and I'm pretty much caught up with them all.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just an update on Chico's skin problem.
It was a food alergy. His hair is growing back now and no more new bald patches. He now weighs 3 lbs. He is on Blue Buffalo Life Protection for small breeds and is doing fine.
Thanks for all the information. It sure helped.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts