Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading the post about training and how everyone uses treats to help train their chis. I have a question---what is the best treat to use? I have yet to find a treat that Axle loves, except for cheese. What treats do you recommend? I tried the Puperonis but he's not interested. He loves cheese though. :D

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
I can't say I have found anything that Auggie is wild over either. At least not that I really want him to have. I saw a tip in Family dog magazine today I am going to try. It was an article about dog's weight. It said to take the regular kibbles you feed your dog and put them in a plastic bag with real smelly cheese or pieces of hotdog and they will think it is something special because of the smell. We'll see about that :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I use Meekos dog food as treats i guess he doesn't know or doesn't care lol my sister n law gives her dogs cat treats because there small

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
then use cheese... or find some chees flavored treats.. I got those beggin strips bacon and cheese flavored for Gadget and he loves them...

but this is the little man that will do anything for a treat... most of the time any kind of treat...

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Poppy is nuts about greenies and she also loves apple.I often cut up tiny bits of apple to try to train her :roll: or reward her when she has been good and she would kill for apple! :)

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
cosmo is crazy about apples too!! ( and melons and grapes :roll: )
but most of the time when i train them i use royal canin, they don't like to eat it dry out of their bowl....but when i give it as a treat with training ...they love it :?

kisses nat

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Tader likes snausages the best but he will eat just about anything. Except for Pup-corn its popcorn for dogs I bought it for him once & he looked at me like "you dont really expect me to eat that do you?"

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Gadget will do anything you want him to for any kind of treat...

The only thing I found that he doesn't like is the chicken jerky that is made by Science Diet.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
xx-nathalie-xx said:
cosmo is crazy about apples too!! ( and melons and grapes :roll: )
Nat, I don't think dogs are supposed to have grapes? (or raisins) I think they are toxic for them? Just something I heard.

I have also heard apple is really good for dog treats. Especially if they are overweight. :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am just now getting to try and train Stewart - he isn't wild about treats either. He does love cheese and my vet said it was fine to give him that to train with so that is my choice.

I find it is hard to just get him to sit still long enough to train that is more of a problem then the treat... :wink:

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Stewarts mom, Cheese is wonderful for dogs...

Maybe the first thing you should teach him is SIT.... I did that with Gadget and it took a long while but once he started getting it all the other stuff came easy, except lay down, and come... hehehe

he still thinks come is play time with mom... but at least he comes over to where I am.. we will continue to work with this one...

Lay down.. He finally got it... we have been working with him since he was about 8 weeks old and he finally got lay down yesterday.... Now he does it every time I tell him to lay down... It was funny last night Mark was working with him and he had to tell him a few times before he would finally lay down... I guess they have some work to do...

See, if you have more than one person interacting with the dog on a daily basis you need them to work with the dog too, but only after the main person and the dog have it down... see, Amanda(my daughter) hasn't really worked with the dog like Mark and I have but he does listen to her when she is playing with him and she tells him to do something... We are still teaching her how to work with Gadget. the next thing we are going to work with Amanda and Gadget on is walking with a leash... see she wants to walk him really bad and I won't let her walk him by herself outside until he is fully leash trained.. but we are going to start working with them both in the house...

My husband's family raised quarter horses when he was growing up. He was the one who took care of the babies and conditioned them for the first year of their life... They also had dogs and he trained the dogs. so he is very Knowledgable about how to handle animals... He has taught me alot about dealing with animals and how to relate with Gadget... So far we have not had any problems with him...

One thing Mark has taught me is that there is a right time and a wrong time for training. The dog actually has to be in the right state of mind before you and teach them something..

If Stewart is hyper and wants to play and run around, he probably won't consentrate long enough for you to teach him something.. try playing with him for a while then tell him to sit... if he thinks it is part of his play time he might do it...
then you can get more formal with his training.. after he has sit down during play... this worked well for us...

I hope this helps.

good luck.. have lots of treats ready...

·
Registered
642 Posts
I tried these things called Pedigree Trainer Treats, they are really small and Paris just loves them.

·
Registered
530 Posts
If your pup likes cheese then use it! The trainer at the puppy class we went to always had cheese and hotdog bits in her pouch. Charlie likes anything but he always liked her treats better than mine. :roll: LOL

·
Registered
530 Posts
Nat, I don't think dogs are supposed to have grapes? (or raisins) I think they are toxic for them? Just something I heard.
My trainer said that too, she said fruit was ok but not grapes it could make them sick.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts