Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Salem has.... what i would call a really thin undercoat. its not enough to make him super fluffy but what it does do is make him look really scraggly when he attempts to shed it and it just sit there. Now generally i just pick at it, and it comes out much the way a spitz breed undercoat comes out. ( IE it pulls out from the hair around it requiring some force to get it out) I'm not pulling out his hair, its ready to come out, its just entwined with outer fur.

anyway to the question, since he doesn't have enough fur on his legs ( the problem area) I can't do the reverse brush thing ( i'm so technical... i groom for a rescue, i was never trained) used for pommies, anyone have suggestions to loosen it up so it comes out easier?

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
How old is your baby? Does he have sparse hair because he is going through puppy uglies until the coat comes in? I just do the reverse brush on back and other areas and use more of a comb type tool on his legs.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha i just posted a pic of salem at 1 and salem at four in pictures under ear debate. you can see the difference, its huge.

and no salem is 5 now, so its actual coat. i was hoping to avoid taking him to a groomer, but i might have to and maybe just harass them with questions. I'll see if i can get a decent pic of the hair in question. there isn't a lot there, so it makes it tough to get a brush in there lol.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Can I ask what you feed him and what kind of climate you live in, sometimes both of those things can play a huge role in what their coats look like.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL sure you want to know? I live in Fairbanks alaska, with temps ranging from -60 F to 90 F. currently a balmy 12 degrees ( heat wave!). Its really dry up here in the winter, the cold sucks all the moisture out. I think i'm "shock" ( as it static shock) training my dogs not to be petted poor things get a nasty shock almost everytime lol. getting a humidifier soon -_- Before alaska it was Upstate NY which is still cold weather and much more snow, thats where he spent most of his life.

we feed taste of the wild, the pacific stream variety unless cold spot runs out then we go prairie ;). Before that canine cavier, but it wasn't received well here by the dogs, so we switched since its still grain free. Treats are Bully sticks mostly. tried turkey necks, both of mine looked at me like i was silly and left them there lol. so bully sticks is the treat of choice.

I really think its just natural shedding, it just doesn't want to release without me plucking for hours. and he gets annoyed and moves after about ten minutes LOL

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Dont have this problem with Leo yet as he really hasnt gotten enough of his coat in to need any grooming other than an occasional bath. For my long haired cats though Ive found the furminator does a great job of grabbing that undercoat.
LOL my guys can all relate to those shocks, especially if were on the couch which seems to be a major conductor of static electricity! They look at you like "hey, whatd I do to deserve that?!"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts