Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious as to how you found a good breeder? Any time I search for a breeder in my area, all I get is breeders who advertise teacups and don't test for luxating patella or other genetic issues in our breed. I can't go to one that is far because I'm still in the process of trying to find a car.

I know you can pay online and some will ship, but I don't want to get scammed so I'm a little hesitant.

I just want to do this right this time because my current Chi came from a random oops litter and although she's overall healthy, she does have pretty bad luxating patella in both knees. I wouldn't trade her for anything though and don't regret buying her. As I said, I learned and want to do this right this time :)

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
I looked at the Chihuahua Club of America and local breed clubs. Then I cross referenced it with the online sites. On websites, I looked for breeders that completed health testing on their dogs, checked their breeding dogs' pedigrees, and looked at pictures of their dogs. I called to talk to her and asked a ton of questions about how often she breeds, what her standards are, the care of the puppies, etc. Then I went to visit. I made sure her home was clean and well maintained, checked out all her dogs, and talked to her. She explained how she started breeding and showing and I was able to see all the puppies. Then I picked out Toby, who, luckily, was not deposited on. And then I went back and got him the following week.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
This is the site I use to look for puppies. Granted I never bought any from any of them, all mne are rescues. You still have to read the websites very carefully, but it is a list of all the breaders around Sacremento.

Breeders.NET Search Results

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks you guys for the recommendations.

I checked out the Chihuahua club of America and found a breeder I'm really interested in. Unfortunately, none of them are real close so I'm hoping this one sends pups. I emailed them and bombarded them with questions :D

·
Premium Member
5,887 Posts
Hi! Another helpful site is puppyfind.com

There is a breeder who does the testing and feeds her dogs raw! Her website is link removed , but her pups are kind of expensive (you get what you pay for) and she will send pups on the airplane.

I was going to adopt one of her chi's, but ended up finding my baby Leo in the meantime. Check her page out!

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I agree with Ashley. While all 3 of mine are AKC registered, purebred Chis, only one has a true quality breeder who does all that Ashley suggests. Guess what that makes the others? No different than BYB's, they just happen to have AKC registered dogs.
With no clear breeding plan, no introduction of dogs not a part of their program and absent the detailed medical testing, it is true.

Sure, all of my breeders will say (and demonstrate) that they love their dogs and treat them well, because they do. When asked about health checks, they will all say things like "we get them medical care and the Vet says they are nice and healthy". That is NOT the same as health checking eyes, hearts, patellas.

You should have a 1-2 year health guarantee provided with your pup, a contract and the contract should require you to have a health check with your Vet with 72 hours of pick up of your dog for that health guarantee to be in force. All 3 of mine do have this. You'll find some skirt these things by saying "we do not worry about all of that, we just want our dogs going to loving homes".

I am also leery of any breeder who releases a dog before 10-12 weeks. Many do this to avoid the cost of their first 1-2 immunizations. They'll instead defend this by saying things like, "we think the sooner they can be in your home and bonding with you, the better". It all sounds good...

·
Registered
299 Posts
Hi! Another helpful site is puppyfind.com

There is a breeder who does the testing and feeds her dogs raw! Her website is link removed , but her pups are kind of expensive (you get what you pay for) and she will send pups on the airplane.

I was going to adopt one of her chi's, but ended up finding my baby Leo in the meantime. Check her page out!
Thanks for the recommendation! I'm looking at their site now :)

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I had a very hard time finding a good breeder. Personally, I didn't care if Chloe was AKC registered or not as long as I felt like the breeder was ethical and good. Chloe isn't AKC registered, only CKC which is basically nothing. I think I went about it the long way honestly, but there aren't any AKC breeders within several hundred miles that I could find. We still ended up driving about 3 hours to get her. I looked for many months by googling chihuahua breeders. I emailed many different breeders and asked them many questions. When I emailed my breeder she asked if she could please talk to me on the phone. I called and we talked for over 30 minutes and this was before I even said I was interested in one of her puppies for sure. She gave me lots of information about how she breeds and what she felt was important. I liked that she had a large extended family who were all involved with the puppies. They were all handled by many different people every day including children. The puppies were watched by someone in the family around the clock in her home. She has a 1 year health guarantee and she kept Chloe until she was 10 weeks old. She also feed the puppies a 4 star food and had done a lot of research on dog food. She also recommended a few other 4 or 5 star foods for us. I felt like she had a huge passion for breeding and that it was something that she did for the right reasons.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts