Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our new little man is very used to being in a crate. We gate Lady into the Laundry room when we are gone. For the time being, I am leaving Prince Valiant in the crate and Lady in the laundry when we are gone. This is only until he fully adjusts, then I would like the two to be together in the laundry room. This seems like a silly question, do I leave water for him in the crate?

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I wouldn't. IMO it's looking for pee accidents or an uncomfortable dog needing to pee. As long as he has access to water any/every other time he should be fine w/o water while crated. I never leave water with my ones that are crated at night or when I'm at work (the ones crated at night are not crated while I work & vice versa). I've never had any issues and none of my dogs ever act like they're dying of thirst. :)

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Yea. When I put water in Mylo's crate I put a puppy pad in there but he's never used it, even though he has a 30" crate with space to go away from his bed. I only crate him in there when I'm sleeping now though and he's fine in there for about 8 hours. He has a drink and does his business before bed.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I have always left water down for my pups. They are in playpens though, and have pee pads down. They drink a little often. IMO water is a necessity.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Depends on how long they are crated for if more than 6 or 7 hrs i would deffinately leave a small low filled water dish in the corner of the crate enough to quence the thirst, if you dont want accidents in the crate over night while sleeping stop feeding 2 to 3 hrs befour bed time, can leave water down till 1 hr befour bed time, make sure they go potty right befour going into the crate, you will have less crate accidents over night time hrs this way.;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts