Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I'm wondering if anyone here can tell me, I've been looking online but the info seems a bit contradictory... We are planning to relocate to the UK in the next 2 years, However I am wondering if the "PETS" scheme for travel applies to people moving abroad and settling? I know one of the members here currently has a Chi under quarantine (but thats within europe if I recall)

Does anyone here have any experience with this?

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm well this is why I am doing my homework now, I want to minimize the risk for the dogs.
If all goes well London area Sara! I don't have all the details yet, but it's to do with my husbands work and we are qualified for ancestry visa's so it's a pretty simple process that way!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Oh yay good choice ha ha!

That website seems to have all the info didn't read it that much but i'm pretty sure it says there are certain places they are quarantined in.. Not sure if they have to be quarantined abroad and here god knows.. i dont understand but you could drop them an email!!

·
Registered
813 Posts
My dog is in the PETS scheme, currently in Holland.

My cats are in it too, it's the exact same procedure to bring a cat or a dog into the UK no matter where you are coming from. It's also not at all complicated and there should be no need to actually place your dogs into quarantine as long as you have enough warning.

As far as i can explain it applying for a european PETS passport means the animal

1 - is ID tagged under the skin and this is recorded in their passport
2 - administered the rabies vaccine and this recorded
3 - you wait 21 days for the rabies vaccine to work then you pay for a blood test for the antibodies
4 - if this blood test is fine your dog has to wait a period of 6 months and can then enter the UK in 6 months. You can also place the dog in a UK quarantine unit but i priced that up for just 2 months at over £1000 and also the import licenses.

I have some friends who brought their dogs from the US. The pet passport worked out for them around $350 per dog then also the cost of flights.

The reason our dog is still in Holland is because we are waiting out her 6 month period, we did not have enough warning to get her ready.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts