Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, :wave:
Just a quick question, how do your chihuahuas get on with your children? I have heard conflicting advice and have 3 children but have wanted a chihuahua for a long time,
many thanks

from Nicole ( in the uk )

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
my chi loves my daughter. it's all about socializing and teaching your children to handle very gently and don't like like maniacs. a lot of the times when children act like children (running screaming high pitched nonsense) scares a new puppy. so you may want to go over certain do's and don'ts well before your new addition arrives. not saying walk on egg shells but no acting like jungle children lol. my daughter is one of those wild child kids but since i talked with her about how to act around the puppy, we save the maniac behavior for running and playing outside.

here's a pic with my daughter who's five and my 4 year old nephew with chiwi who is 4 motnhs old.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I have had chis now since my children were small, and can honestly say we never had any problems with them interacting with the kids. But, as stated it is all in the socializing and how your children behave around the puppy. Chis are extremely loving and affectionate. However, they are delicate due to their size. If your children are taught how to handle and play with a chi pup, and the pup is socialized I see no reason it would not work out. Read up about the breed - there is much excellent information on line and on this forum in past threads. Chis are not for everyone, but by doing your homework, you can make an informed decision. We will be more than happy to answer any other questions you have. There are many people with a great deal of knowledge on this forum. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your replies, it is nice to hear the positive side, my girls are very good and used to handling hamsters!
thanks again
Nicole

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
My chi is 5 years old & I refur to him as a grouch he loves my 2 year old when hes eating the rest of the time he runs from him. My chis mom loves him & when shes had enough she goes off & hides till my son leaves as for the father he tries to bite him if he even gets close luckily he isnt around him but once a week.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Welcome!! :hello2: I agree that it's about teaching your children how to handle a small pet. I hope everything goes well with my chi and my nephew, and I hope all goes well w/ your kids, too!! :wave:

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
poohdog said:
Thank you for your replies, it is nice to hear the positive side, my girls are very good and used to handling hamsters!
thanks again
Nicole
yeah that's about right lol a hamster is perfect to demonstrate. and i also recommend getting a bell for the chi's collar it helps to keep an ear out and make sure it isn't underfoot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts