Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just got a quick question...my chi is about 3 and a half months old. What is the normal amount they should consume daily of their dog food?

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
depends on the dog.
my dogs are free fed so i dont keep track, if they start gaining weight ill know there eating too muhc, if they lose there not eating enough but free feeidng has always worked well for us.

the recomendations on the bag are usually for kenneld dogs (whihc tend to need a higher calorie diet) but id say anything from around 1/2 a cup of good quality food should be plenty.

you could start off by giving him the amount listed on the bag, then keep a close check on his weight, if hes gaining too much cut back the food, if hes losing weight add some...so long as hes staying the same (or growing at a rate your vet deems correct since hes still a baby) i wouldnt worry too much!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Gizmo is four months and he for the most part eats abit a wet food in the mornings then dry food when ever he wants it. It's always out for him in other words. Some days he doesnt eat much at all but I know he's not starving so I don't worry.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Some dogs will naturally fast themselves periodically, which is fine...except with these little ones, we have to worry about their blood sugar dropping. I have always just let my chi eat as much as he wanted each meal (I don't free feed). But the total amount tends to vary some by day.

The amount you should feed depends a lot upon the type of food you feed as well as your individual pup.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, it's left out free choice for him, but I check if often daily, when I give him fresh water. I'd say he's eating about a half cup some days and as little as a fourth cup other days. But, he's in good shape, not too fat or too thin, and he's growing well. Like I said I'm not really worried just curious as to whether other chi's were a bit picky about eating some days...

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I think his eating habits are probably pretty normal then, as long as he looks good. I think a lot of chis will eat more or less on certain days.

On days when mine barely eats anything more than a few bites of food (which is every now and then), I just make sure he at least gets *something* else, like a tad of plain yogurt or cottage cheese. When he was younger, I always kept some nutri-cal and gave him a bit of that if he didn't eat much or went to long between meals.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He gets a plain, haird boiled egg diced up in place of soft dog food(since he doesn't care for the stuff, and eggs are full of nutrients)usually every other day, but if it's a day where he doesn't seem to be eating much I'll give him one even if it's the in between day. He does seem to drink A LOT of water, but that's because of the extra protein in the egg I learned by doing a bit of research online. Anyway, thanks guys!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts