Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I have decided to feed Amberleah Raw, BUT my husband doesn't want me to, Thing is he doesn't do the shopping and he is gone from 6am to about 8 pm. so he will never know, except on weekend he is here. The question is what do I do on weekends, does the freeze dried or frozen look raw, can I get away with it? I will be having so much venison this year I want to take advantage of it. Also where do you buy your freeze dried or frozen I cant find any in Michigan. Can anyone post some picture of freeze dried or frozen for me.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
ZiwiPeak or Stella and Chewy's are both pre made raws. ZP looks like little squares of jerky, and SC is either freeze dried (crumbly patties that you add water to) or frozen. So no, I don't think they look raw. It may be easier to start off on one of those if you can't get your husband to agree :)

ZiwiPeak:

Google Images

Stella and Chewys

Google Images

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My Husband just got called out to work, so I just bought some whole chicken legs and cut off some gave it to Amberleah she smelled it , lick it and went to sleep. How do you guys cut up the bones so not to give the whole thing.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I just cut through it with scissors. I have found that my dogs have an easier time chewing through cornish hen bones, they are pretty soft.

As for how long a bag lasts me:

I feed my dogs 1 meal pre made and 1 meal raw, with a small raw snack at night. So, 1 bag of Ziwipeak probably lasts me a 4-5 weeks. If you were feeding just that, a bag would probably last you about the same since you have 1 dog.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Chicken doesn't have much smell, if any. So some new to raw dogs don't recognize it as food. I don't give chicken legs. Toooooo big. But since you have them, you can let her chew on the ends which are more cartilage. Don't let her have the long bone in the middle, but she could consume the ends. You'll probably have to sear it at first in a sizzling hot pan with a bit of butter or olive oil. Just a few seconds. Or cut it up into tiny pieces and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. I wouldn't do the skin right at first. Let her have a few bits of meat and then let her chew on the bone while in your lap with you holding it. Then you can control how much she gets.

I prefer starting new raw dogs off on cornish hens. I think they are easiest. One is 16 ounces, so whacking it up into 8 pieces gives you 8 pieces that are 2 ounces each. This is a meal. Since Amberleah is quite small, you might just be giving one ounce at a time. One ounce is about the size of an ice cube or about a tablespoon. Not much at all. It's very easy to overfeed raw and then you get loose stools. So just go slow.

Read the links in the getting started sticky.

If your husband is really not on board with raw, you might want to stick with a pre-made like Stella and Chewy's or ZiwiPeak. Both are excellent. Both are like real food (not hunks of raw meat). Once she is on those, you could slowly start adding in some raw. I don't like the idea of trying to hide it from him. Seems like that could backfire.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts