Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a Chi Mom for only a few weeks. My Paco was adopted from a shelter. Can't help but notice how dull his coat is and I'm not sure what to do about it. He's been on Missing Link since the day I adopted him and it has always given my other dogs beautiful, shiny coats. Not Paco. Is there something else I should be doing?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I dont know Missing Link food myself, but usually dull, lifeless coat is down to poor diet or possibly parasites (worms!) - I'd personally offer a fish oil supplement and make sure he's on a high-quality food or even consider switching to a Raw diet.

There are loads of helpful threads in the Diet and Nutrition section :)

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Yeah i would think it could be the food.
Havent heard of Missing link either.
Check out dogfoodanlysis site there are some good foods mentioned on there.
I also give mine a squirt of salmon oil each day on their food. x

·
Registered
809 Posts
Missing link is good but what kind of food is he on? You may have to change the food in addition to adding the missing link. Also remember that you've only had him a couple of weeks. It takes time for the body to recover from bad nutrition and to lose the old, dry coat and develop a nice new shiny coat.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Paco is on the same food my Westie eats, Purina Veterinary Diet - Dental Health. He's been Vet checked (he's healthy)and has been wormed. Missing Link is a supplement used for a lot of things including healthy skin and coat. Yes, these these things do take time but I've had him about six weeks. Just feel I should be seeing some improvement by now. I wasn't aware of the Diet and Nurition section here. Will certainly check it out. Fish oil is a great idea too. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
What you feed shows on the outside is 100% true

I feed my boys Acana and they get Evening Primrose Oil for dogs every day, people always comment on how healthy my dogs look and what shiney coats they have.

Deme x

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Purina is a low rated food I'm afraid which will be the problem!! Have a look around in the nutrition section and see what others feed

I feed prey model raw
Kibble wise your best bet is orijen or acana
Even better would be a dehydrated raw like ziwipeak or the honest kitchen

You'll see a dramatic difference if you put him on a better food

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Those dental diets are a big bunch of hooey anyway, hun :) Could you stomach giving him a RAW chicken wing/bone 2-3 times a week? This *REALLY* helped with dental issues with my chis.

As far as diet goes, please get him off that awful food...I don't want to sound dramatic but foods like that are basically "garbage" and even can contain people's euthanized pets. The thought of it makes me sick :-/

I would find a specialty pet store in your area and see if you can get your hands on Innova, Fromm (fourstarnutritionals.com), Acana or Orijen if kibble is what you are comfortable with. These foods are a bit richer and MUCH healthier than what you are currently feeding and will help a ton. You might be surprised that the price tag is a bit higher but you 1) feed less of the good foods and 2) the health benefits are unparalleled.

If you really want to go for the "ultimate" dog food, try Ziwipeak or The Honest Kitchen -- both are quite expensive, although I would imagine it's not too big of a deal for one chihuahua.

I would also add a salmon oil to his diet as others have mentioned -- this will really improve coat a lot. Petco has a salmon oil they sell or you can find them online.

The missing link is a decent supplement but it MUST be used in conjunction with a quality diet. If you ask me, though, it is overpriced. When you feed a good diet, you really don't need that much of a supplement.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I don't want to sound dramatic but foods like that are basically "garbage" and even can contain people's euthanized pets. The thought of it makes me sick :-/
Omg. I didn't know that. :(

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Definitely agree with Sarah above. If you put your Chi on ZiwiPeak and/or Honest Kitchen you'd see a DRAMATIC difference in his coat! The ZiwiPeak has fish oil along with other ingredients that make their coat super shiney & healthy.

Purina is a horrid food & can cause a lot of different issues. To give you an example--we got Maya back in April. I don't know specifically what she was fed but I do know it was a grocery store brand dog food such as Purina (most grocery store brands are all the same in their main ingredient is corn--which is VERY difficult for dogs to digest. It's hard on their system & is the leading causer of allergies in dogs) We've had Maya on raw for 4 of those months & we did ZiwiPeak/Honest Kitchen for 2 months of that time (just to try them out but we are back on raw now though they are terrific foods!). She no longer has really teary eyes, no longer has scabs in her ears, no longer has staining below her eyes, no longer has a lot of build up on her teeth (still a bit but not nearly as bad!) & is healthier in appearance in general.

Anyway, I bet if you switched to either a high quality kibble or one of the dehydrated raw foods you'd see an amazing difference. If you do go with a kibble or even the dehydrated ZiwiPeak, definitely add water to it though. Even though the companies say it's not necessary it takes a lot of moisture to process these foods. Adding water assures they get the moisture needed at the right time. The Honest Kitchen & wet ZiwiPeak are already hydrated (Honest Kitchen you have to rehydrate with water before feeding). Enough water in their diet will also help their coat as well as a fish oil added to their meal every day though I'm assuming the missing link may contain this? I'm not sure as I'm not familiar with it.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Definitely switching to a better higher quality diet would help. I adopted a Miniature Pinscher about 3 weeks ago and am already seeing a HUGE difference in her coat, she gets Prey Model Raw in addition to Salmon Oil & The Missing Link (I LOVE that stuff...Zoey my chihuahua is on their testimonial page). Ziva (min pin)'s coat just shines in the light which is awesome. As for the dental diet (those are a bunch of hokey), you will see a better difference in feeding Raw Meaty Bones a few times a week or using Petzlife Oral Gel. The dental diet is full of corn which dogs can only digest about 30% of grains so you will feed less, see less poops and have healthier dogs. Dogs that are fed raw utilize/digest about 95% of what they eat. I have raised Westies so I know how horrible their teeth can get/be, you will save lots of money on dentals etc if you use Raw Meaty Bones &/or the Petzlife Gel. I adopted a Pomeranian in March and his teeth were horrid...using only the Petzlife his teeth went from Severe to Moderate in just 6 weeks.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Definitely switching to a better higher quality diet would help. I adopted a Miniature Pinscher about 3 weeks ago and am already seeing a HUGE difference in her coat, she gets Prey Model Raw in addition to Salmon Oil & The Missing Link (I LOVE that stuff...Zoey my chihuahua is on their testimonial page).
What's The Missing Link? I've seen it mentioned a couple times now..

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
What's The Missing Link? I've seen it mentioned a couple times now..
Pet Nutrition | Pet Health | Pet Food Supplements | The Missing Link
It is a supplement you give them with their food, it helps bridge the gap if you don't feed raw, I have been using it for several years, and it's the only thing I've found to help Zoey regrow hair, such as her 'chi pattern baldness' on her neck/chest/stomach areas. It helps with allergies as well.

Here's a little:
It's no secret . . . Good health starts from within! Missing Links products are formulated from whole foods and food concentrates to deliver nutrients that are bio-active, the way Mother Nature made them. Missing Links proprietary, patented cold-processing method ensures the freshest delivery of precious omega 3 fatty acids in combination with a broad spectrum of natural fiber, flax lignans and phyto (plant) nutrients. We use ingredients that are nutrient rich to address the problems of marginal or empty calories and "missing" nutrients that often are characteristic of companion animal diets. These nutrients synergistically provide support to the digestive, nervous, and immune systems. The result is sustained energy, healthy skin and coat, and much more . .

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Missing Link is a nutritional supplement.

Here's the ingredients:

FLAX SEED, BLACKSTRAP MOLASSES, RICE BRAN, PRIMARY DRIED YEAST, SUNFLOWER SEED, FREEZE DRIED LIVER, DEHYDRATED ALFALFA, DRIED CARROT, FREEZE DRIED BONE, DRIED FISH MEAL, FREEZE DRIED OYSTER, SPROUTED GREEN BARLEY, DRIED KELP, LECITHIN, GARLIC AND YUCCA SCHIDIGERA EXTRACT.

Some people swear by it and get great results. (Zoey's mom for example.) It is pretty easy to find, most petco's and petsmarts will carry it.

As far as supplements go, I like and prefer Nupro and have had great results with it. I've used it for years and been pleased. Your mileage may vary, however. :)

Here are the ingredients for Nupro if anyone is interested in comparing the two supplements ...

DESICCATED LIVER:
BEE POLLEN:
IMPORTED YEAST CULTURE:
FLAXSEED :
LECITHIN:
GARLIC CONCENTRATE:
LACTOBACILLUS ACIDOPHILUS:
CALCIUM CITRATE:

They are similar in alot of ways. Be aware that some dogs have a sensitivity to flax (they both contain it) and it can cause allergic reactions in certain dogs.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Very interesting! I will have to look into them both and see! Thank you so much for the info Heather and Tracy! :)

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Those dental diets are a big bunch of hooey anyway, hun :) Could you stomach giving him a RAW chicken wing/bone 2-3 times a week? This *REALLY* helped with dental issues with my chis.

As far as diet goes, please get him off that awful food...I don't want to sound dramatic but foods like that are basically "garbage" and even can contain people's euthanized pets. The thought of it makes me sick :-/

I would find a specialty pet store in your area and see if you can get your hands on Innova, Fromm (fourstarnutritionals.com), Acana or Orijen if kibble is what you are comfortable with. These foods are a bit richer and MUCH healthier than what you are currently feeding and will help a ton. You might be surprised that the price tag is a bit higher but you 1) feed less of the good foods and 2) the health benefits are unparalleled.

If you really want to go for the "ultimate" dog food, try Ziwipeak or The Honest Kitchen -- both are quite expensive, although I would imagine it's not too big of a deal for one chihuahua.

I would also add a salmon oil to his diet as others have mentioned -- this will really improve coat a lot. Petco has a salmon oil they sell or you can find them online.

The missing link is a decent supplement but it MUST be used in conjunction with a quality diet. If you ask me, though, it is overpriced. When you feed a good diet, you really don't need that much of a supplement.
I found wild norweigan salmon oil capsules at walmart. I poke a hole in it and squirt it on the dogs food 1x day. Sometimes I forget though. ;) They really seem to like it too.
My puppy is on orijen puppy food. She likes it and she looks great!
Here is a pic that shows her coat, and it is very glossy *kinda blurry though*

1 - 17 of 17 Posts