Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are bringing home our second chihuahua, Penny, two weeks from today. She will be close to 10 weeks, and right now she weighs almost a pound. I got Lion when he was 13 weeks and he weighed close to 3 pounds, so he wasn't tiny. I have a few questions about bringing her home:

How should I introduce them? Lion is pretty submissive around other dogs, so I don't think he will be mean to her.

Do I give her NutriCal regularly since she is small, or just when she isn't eating?

Do I need to buy her new toys, or should I just let her share with Lion?

Since she hasn't had all of her shots, when I take Lion on walks would it be okay just to carry her? Or should she not go out at all?

Thank you for helping :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hiya. I was told by a breeder before that a new toy or two just for a new pup is a nice idea, but I wouldn't worry about Lion playing with them too. If you are planning on crate training you could always limit Penny's new toys to her crate so she has them just for her.

You can carry your pup around pre-shots, no problems.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I can only tell you what we experienced which may likely not be the recommended way!

We were fortunate and Ruby's breeder allowed us to bring her into their home but we had only access to the puppies form which we were choosing in a room of her house. Hope was able to interact with just these pups with proof of her shots.

We had a 3 hour drive home and I held them both together in a blanket. That was their introduction.

I did buy some additional toys. I bought an extra bed but they sleep together so it stays in the living room for napping.

When we got Ruby, she was 14 weeks and Hope was 16 weeks. They were similarly sized. Having had Hope a few weeks at home first, she took and maintained dominance. EXCEPT over food. Ruby gained food dominance and that has remained.

Hope was the smallest when we brought her home. She was 1.5 lbs and just 9 weeks. Ruby was 1 lb. 15 oz. at 14 weeks when we got her.

Hope is a piggy eater and I never had to give her Nutrical. She ate immediately upon coming home. Ruby would not eat and I gave her some honey. Then I added warm water to her food and she lapped up the water and later ate. We have been fortunate with no wilting or sugar drops with our two.

We try to do everything with them together. If I took one on a walk, I'd carry the other. I have taught them to kiss (I know. I am weird) and when they groom each other I praise them and speak very firmly when they are not polite to each other.

When we mention the other's name, they look and look around. They really enjoy playing and being together. It is so sweet.

How exciting for you. It ha really improved Hope's enjoyment (and ours as well) to have Ruby!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts