Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! My name is Katie and my husband and I have been seriously thinking about getting our first Chi puppy! We have been doing a lot of research, but I wanted to get insider's imput from people with chihuahuas to help me with my decision. Here are my concerns:

1.)We have a 15 month old daughter. All information I have found discourages people with small children from getting chi's. However,they also say that if raised together, they can get along well. Also, my girl is EXTREMLY mild mannered. We tookk her to see some chi puppies today and I was so incredibly impressed at how gentle she was with them. She strokked them very gently. She's like that with everything.She treats everything like a precious object, so I don't think she would be too rowdy to hurt the puppy. She's very laid back.

2.)We live with my mother-in-law and sort of treat our big room as an apartment. Would that be enough room for the puppy? We go downstairs occasionally, but this is sort of where we live and where a puppy would spend most of its time.

3.)I would take the chi most places I go b/c I don't want to leave such a small dog alone and I don't want her to be lonely. Is it ok to take it in a mall if you have it in a tote? Also, my dad has a jack russel terrier and another medium sized mutt and I go there quite often when my husband is at workk to avoid going crazy here. But occasionaly, we would have to leave her alone at times. We have a big play pen that my daughter doesn't use anymore. Would that be good?

4.)We're also students in college and sometimes need to study and whatnot. Are they high-need dogs? Will it be too much added responsibility for us?

I guess that is everything. So, what do you think? Please reply asap! Thanks!

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
Hello Katie :wave:

1. I heard all that same stuff about kids and chi's but still decided to get one and I am glad I did. They are great dogs around kids. But I think there is something to it that the puppy you are potentially getting be raised around children and teach your daughter how to behave around the chi. They are very fragile dogs. :wink:

2. A big reason I wanted a chihuahua is because I live in an apartment and they are really small dogs. I think it would be a great fit. It's important that your chihuahua still gets exercise outside the home, even they don't require that much. It's still good, just to be outside. :wink:

3. I think as long as you have the chi in a tote, you really won't be bothered. Food places might not like that though. :wink: I think the play-pen would be o.k. as long as it is safe. I keep my boys penned in the kitchen, when I'm not home or can't keep my eye on them.

4. High need dogs? YES! They needs loads of attention, they are kinda like kids. But they will do o.k. if your going to school. Just make it a point to do lots of cuddling and playing when you are home.

I would say considering that you are both in school and have a 15 month daughter, you might want to wait a little longer before getting a puppy. That way you could do lots of planning and get the perfect chi for your family. :wave:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Hi Katie - welcome!

I'll try to do my best at answering your questions but everyone here has varying opinions so you're bound to get a lot of them!

First, most people do discourage people with children from getting chihuahuas. I was personally raised with two chis, an elderly smaller chi and a bigger, younger chi. Both lived, despite living with a baby. I lived too. You just have to teach your child to respect the animal, just as you would with any pet. But chis can be very fragile and need gentle handling so you should take that into account.

A chi makes fora great pet in a small apartment - which is what your living situation sounds like. You need to discuss, however, potty training and how you will be able to distinguish the "potty dance" and get the dog outside ASAP when teaching outdoor potty stuff. Another thing I would consider with a small child in the house is the sanitary issues with potty pads and potty accidents. Your daughter is young and at that stage where EVERYTHING needs to be touched, investigated and handled, not to mention put in her mouth. Just something to consider.

Depending on where you live, you may or may not be able to take your chi with you everywhere. I personally won't take my dog anywhere that hasn't given me prior approval - but he doesn't travel in a tote, either. I could go on forever about the "take your dog where you want to" topic but it all boils down to I don't want to be the one responsible for the store getting fined, sued or shut down for state, city or county violations. A playpen would work great for a chi puppy when you're not home. You can also use a kennel or just a child gate across a bathroom doorway.

As for your question about high-needs, all puppies are really high-needs dogs. Chihuahua puppies and smaller breeds are more likely to have problems than larger breed dogs when they're pups because of their size. Besides health and puppy issues, they tend to be one or two-person dogs, very needy when it comes to human interaction and love being around their "person". Socialization is key with chihuahuas, especially as puppies, and they need to be exposed to many situations and people to avoid getting a yippy, yappy "stereotypical" chihuahua. They do require a lot of time ... they don't like being by themselves for too long and once you have one, you won't WANT to leave it alone for too long either!!

Honestly, in your situation, I would try a rescue and get a young chi that has already been potty trained and through the puppy phase. You may have trouble finding a rescue that will adopt to a home with a child though. If you don't have much time to spend with a small pup, it might be your best alternative.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you!

Thanks everyone! You've given me some great imput. I'm a huge dog person and probably a year ago I wouldn't have thought about it this much and just ran out and got one. But I'm trying to be responsible for both my family and the puppy!

The whole sanitary thing is a good issue. We were thinking of getting one of those small igloo houses with a hole in it just big enough for the chi and putting the puppy pads in there.

We found an awesome breeder. At first, I wanted her little white teacup puppy, but after I researched, I figured out that wouldn't be the right dog for our family. She has this very light carmel colored little girl with big blue eyes that stood out from the rest of the litter. She wagged her tail at us, licked our faces, and played like a puppy. The rest of them seemed a little scared! So I think that if we decide to get one, that this will be the one we'll get. She seems to fit well in our little fam.

Well, we decide tomorrow! So I'll keep you posted!

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Re: Thank you!

KTB1983 said:
Thanks everyone! You've given me some great imput. I'm a huge dog person and probably a year ago I wouldn't have thought about it this much and just ran out and got one. But I'm trying to be responsible for both my family and the puppy!

The whole sanitary thing is a good issue. We were thinking of getting one of those small igloo houses with a hole in it just big enough for the chi and putting the puppy pads in there.

We found an awesome breeder. At first, I wanted her little white teacup puppy, but after I researched, I figured out that wouldn't be the right dog for our family. She has this very light carmel colored little girl with big blue eyes that stood out from the rest of the litter. She wagged her tail at us, licked our faces, and played like a puppy. The rest of them seemed a little scared! So I think that if we decide to get one, that this will be the one we'll get. She seems to fit well in our little fam.

Well, we decide tomorrow! So I'll keep you posted!

You sound really responsible and sound like you offer a great home. Your choice of waiting and researching is seriously sensible BUT
to be a proper respected chi lover/owner you must know that there is NO SUCH THING AS TEACUP CHIHUAHUAS! Im sure you have not been informed of this so please refrain from using or beleiving in these words. The only types of chis you can get is LONG/SMOOTH coated. There are seriously sad reasons behind using the word teacup - ONLY BAD BREEDERS USE IT!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I just found out about the "teacup" situation recently from my research. I think that people who work hard to JUST breed these teacups (from what I've read) are very selfish to purposely put these dogs in such a position. With added health problems and whatnot, it seems cruel to breed them on purpose just for profit. So don't worry! I'm informed now!

And Jamie (my husband) and I have decided to go pick up our puppy tomorrow! The little carmel girl. Not too sure what we'll name her yet. I was thinking of some sort of wine since both Jamie and I are huge wine lovers. I will post pictures! Thanks!

·
Registered
85 Posts
How exciting, I just got my first chi too, a week ago and letme tell you, it a whole lot of work, its just I mean JUST like having a baby.
But for name ideas how about Chardonnay or Champagne? Della (zinfanDEL) (I'm just going with your wine idea) Pinot? Cabernet?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts