Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone...

i have a few questions about chihuahuas.
1. what is a good age to bring home a chi puppy?
2. what kind of food do you feed your chi?
3. does anyone use nutri-cal for their chi? how often should they get a dose and until what age do you give it?
4. how often do you feed a chi puppy?(how many times a day)
5. did anyone litter box train?

thanking everyone in advance.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Welcome! :wave:

1. 10-12 weeks
2.Eukanuba small breed puppy formula
3.Luckily I didn't need to use nutri-cal, you only need to use it if your pup won't eat. ( I think :) )
4.I leave the bowl out for Molly so she can eat whenever she wants.
5. I don't use a litter box but I think there are people here that do.

It's great that you want to be educated about a new puppy before you get one. Hope you like it here! :) :wave:

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
3. does anyone use nutri-cal for their chi? how often should they get a dose and until what age do you give it?

1 = between 10 - 12 weeks is the ideal age

2 = i feed Butchers wet and pedigree dry, but this is all to do with your budget and what suits you and your dog , it will already have a food the breeder will be feeding it which you may have to take into consideration.

3 = I dont use nutri cal as my chis have been a good size 6 and 7 pounds fully grown , it really depends on the weight of your baby and also if the breeder hasnt been using it and its been fine you should have no worries

4 = under 12 weeks - 4 times a day , 12 weeks to 6 months - 3 times a day and over 6 months twice a day ( I fed twice a day now they are full grown wet on a morning and a evening and I leave a bowl of dry down at all times in case they get hungry)

5 = I use puppy pads which I found great - again see what the breeder has been using .

good luck and I reccomend getting a book called "chihuahuas for dummies its full of all this sort of info :wave:

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Ozzysmom you said it good and so did you Molly...

I haven't had to use the nut-cal stuff either and I got Gadget at 3 weeks.. I don't recomend this to anybody... we got VERY LUCKY!!!! It was alot of work for those first few weeks but he is well, worht it....

·
Registered
7,716 Posts

between 10-12 weeks, some breeders like to keep the real small ones until 15 weeks....

i feed royal canin mini puppy and science diet prescription a/d

i was using it when chiwi wasn't eating but now that i found something she likes (her royal canin and a/d mixed) i give that about 2-3 times during the day (little meals) to keep her sugar level...i don't need the nutri-cal anymore.

chiwi eats her dry food in the morning, sometimes.... then a few hours later i give her a/d mixed with her dry, then a few hours later same, same again a few more hours later then at night (around 10ish) she eats a nice helping of her dry...

no i use wee wee pads....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts