Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to look at a little female pup this weekend but I am confused about how you raise two dogs at once. I have only ever had one pet at a time. Can you answer some questions for me?

For those that only have one Chi, why don't you have more than one? Is it just an issue of time/money/energy or is it that you think your Chi would rather be an only child?

For those that have more than 1 Chi, Do you feed them in seperate dishes at seperate times? How do you handle it when one is eating puppy food and one is eating dog food so that they don't eat each others?

Do you have one big bed for them to snuggle on together or two seperate beds for them?

If you use piddle pads, how often do you have to change them?

Do you find yourself favoring one over the other(s)? Does one ever get jealous of another when you are giving attention to them?

Do you ever wish you were back to only having one dog?

I take dog ownership very seriously and I am concerned that a new puppy may take away from Bosco's happiness. I sure don't want that! In fact he is the main reason we are looking into another pup. I also don't want dog ownership to become a "chore" or a "hassle" -- right now I love everything about having a dog, from cleaning up after him to training him to cuddling with him and everything in between. Is another dog really that much more work - I don't think it will be other than going to training another day each week & I enjoy that - but maybe I am missing something?

Thanks for any and all help you can give!
Anna

·
Registered
549 Posts
Two are really no different than one. Especially since they are small. Above two and then the work seems to get more, but not much.

When I am introducing a puppy to an adult dog I never leave them alone together. I always supervise the situation. To start with I make sure the puppy has an area and the adult has an area. Until the puppy is larger I do not feed them together since they have different food requirements. The puppy needs to eat more often than the adult and the adult may not need the protein rich puppy food. After the puppy is larger they can eat together, but I usually have separate bowls, so that one does not control the entire food bowl. But sometimes they eat together out of the same bowl. But to start with the puppy has its own area to sleep/rest and eat. So that they each have a quiet time away from one another.

Puppies need a lot of rest, so that is the time to make sure that the adult chi has attention. With my pack, I just make sure that one is carried outside and loved, or they come with me, one at a time for one on one time.

I have separate beds for mine-but they are so funny to watch-sometimes they are all crowded in the same bed, sometimes they pair up, they usually do not sleep by themselves.

I don't think that you favor one over the other, they are different, not like twins.

And if the introduction is done well, and they accept each other, then they play with each other alt...and so there are times they are playing and don't want the attention.

I have introduced an adult and a puppy and it went well, the adult was a year old and the puppy was 8 weeks.
I think that introducing two puppies to adults can be fun, but with two puppies I think that they are more energetic and play as puppies for a longer time than if they are alone and depend more on you.

I don't think that I made a mistake with all of my chis, they all have their own personalities and they are all very loving. Just shuffle your feet when they are all out playing and running, having fun.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have an almost two year old male, and a 14 week old female. I did a lot of research, first to determine if the pup should be a male or a female. I decided that adding a female would be the safest bet. We introduced them on neutral ground, and we sat back and let nature take over. Gizmo, my male is the boss. He was here first, and that's just how it is. He's bigger, stronger and he's a male. :) Sometimes Piper, the puppy, jumps at his face, or runs up and bites him on the butt or the back leg, especially when she wants to play, but he doesn't. It's funny though, you can tell he's just correcting her because he really just snaps at the air. He pokes her in the back with his nose too. I figured that in the wild, there's always a leader of the pack, or the Alpha Male, so we just let it happen. Typical scenario: They play for 15-20 minutes, Gizmo gets tired, finds a lap to relax in, Piper comes along and jumps on his head, Gizmo snaps at her, and Piper rolls over on her back submissively and gives him "goo-Goo eyes". She will calm down as she gets older, and they will be best buddies. I hope! :)

Piper is in the kitchen with baby gates, except for exercise and play time several times a day. She's mastered Potty Pad 101. Wherever we put them, she uses them. BUY THE BIG PACK! We go through 9 or 10 a day, because I don't like them to sit. Her food is in the kitchen, Gizmo's is in the dining room, so no problem with that. In the beginning he did steal her food, only to walk across the room and spit it out! He just wanted to show her that he could take it if he wanted to!

Gizmo is, and always will be my baby. I have never been so attached to an animal in my life. He is with me whenever possible... almost like another body part. Don't get me wrong, I love Piper too, but there's just something about Gizmo.. can't explain it.

I greet Gizmo first, and I feed him first. The puppy gets lots of attention, so I make sure that Gizmo does too. Gizmo sounds spoiled doesn't he? Don't worry, the puppy gets tons of lovin' too, I just don't want Gizmo jealous. That could cause problems.

They have separate beds, separate blankets, and they share toys (because Gizmo steals anything I buy for the puppy anyway-he must have it first). We have *alot* of toys. :)

Chihuahua's are supposed to like their own kind. Hopefully, my two won't be the exception to the rule, and will keep each other company when we aren't home. I think that's mainly why we added a second dog, so that Gizmo could have a buddy.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I said to my boyfriend, "I think that owning two Chis will be ok. On the one hand, I think it will double the irritating things about Puck, but on the other hand, I think it will halve the annoying things about Puck."

And those words have been true so far.

Puck loves to play and I am just not that energetic, so I thought, having a friend would be great for him.

So far, he's really not been happy about it--except when it comes to playing with the puppy.

That makes me feel bad, like maybe Puck would have much rather been an only dog. But I figure it might just be that the puppy is a puppy, and he'll be happier about it when she's older. The vet said that might end up being the case.

The puppy is very different from Puck, Puck sort of spoiled me. He never went potty in the bed. Puppy did. And continues to do. Do! *sigh* I should have crated her from the start, but I had no trouble with Puck.

Taking care of them isn't much different.

Carrying two around instead of one is harder.

Feeding two instead of one isn't harder. They do have separate bowls...but I am having trouble with puppy and the puppy food. She seems to prefer the adult food and Puck seems to prefer his puppy food. *shrug* My vet didn't seem too concerned when I told her, so, I just try to keep them focused on their own bowls.

I do have to change the pads more often, but those paper pads aren't economic in the best of circumstances. So, well, I cope.

Puck is a bit jealous. I've seen more jealous dogs, though. And I'm sure they will become best friends as soon as puppy calms down a little.

Sometimes when one has been bad, I feel like I like the other one more. But that's about the only time. I do get exasperated with the puppy fairly easily--Puck was a lot calmer and just, well, picked up "good behavior" faster. But she's so cute, it's just like with Puck, I can't stay mad long.

I haven't wished I could go back to one dog except in respect to how Puck has been acting toward me since I got the puppy. He's been clinging to my boyfriend, and, actually, it hurts my feelings. :( He's my dog! I bought him, and feed him, and clothe him, and pay his expensive vet bills, and clean up his poo.

So there are considerations, but ...

Dogs are social creatures and do prefer companionship. I know that Puck will be much happier with the company if I have to start leaving them at home.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I have 3 yr old Annabelle, almost 6 mo old Cody and almost 3 month old Callie. Annabelle is my dog and my 7 yr old daughter wanted her own dog so we got her Cody. Annabelle has never liked Cody which is not a surprise to me at all. She's kind of snotty like that. :roll: She's not mean to him, just keeps her distance.

Cody is such a loving, playful, full of energy dog that we decided to get him a playmate. Cody and Callie met on nuetral territory and hit it off immediately! They just love each other. They do everything together.

Annabelle has her own separate bed and food. Cody and Callie are happy to share a "room" :wink: and bed. They eat together but have separate bowls. I like to know how much each of them is eating. Callie does try to eat out of Cody's bowl too but I just nudge her back to her own bowl. :D

Callie the youngest is the jealous one. If we are holding her or playing with her she wants Cody nowhere around. We're working on that.

I love all my chis! They all have different personalities. Annabelle doesn't like to play much. She likes to just sit in my lap and hang out with me. Cody and Callie entertain us with the way they play with eachother. :lol: And it is so sweet when they cuddle up together at night.
Cody and Callie are cuddle puppies too but they like to play a lot too.

Did I answer everything? :? :D

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
:D I think I can only answer one of your questions...the reason I don't have another dog is money..not to feed him or take proper care of him but just to buy it...If I had the chance I would get another one in a second and really hope for the best!

P.S. sorry my answer is not so detailed like the others :D

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
Well as you know I just got Buster about 1 1/2 months ago. He is 9 months old and Mr. Peepers is 10 months old. I do feed them at the same time but in different rooms. I do this because Buster is a little piggy and will eat Mr. Peepers food, Mr. Peepers will let him :roll: . I feed Buster in my bedroom and put up his gate and I feed Mr. Peepers in the kitchen still. I figured that would make Mr. more comfortable. Things have changed since Buster has come and I wanted at least that to stay the same for Mr.

Jealousy is somewhat of an issue. Buster is extremely lovable, he wants lovings all the time. At first Mr. would not come to me if Buster was in my lap, now he does about 75% of the time. The other 25% is when my bf is home and Mr. Peepers would prefer to go to him. He has really taken a liking to my bf since Busters arrival. Before Buster Mr.'s favorites were 1. my daughter, 2. me and 3. my bf. Now it's my daughter, my bf, then me. Mr. Peepers loves Buster. He gets a little jealous but never snaps or gets mad at him, it's more he's a little mad at me. :roll:

Since Buster, Mr. has stayed home alot more. One of the reasons I wanted another chi was to keep Mr. company. I felt guilty leaving him alone. It is harder to take 2 of them places now. I mainly take them to the park and to my sisters house to play.

As for the pads I keep 2 out at all times and change them at least once a day and sometimes more. Mainly because I don't like the smell and they won't potty on it if there is more than 2 or 3 pees. I always remove the poo immediately.

They don't have seperate beds. Mr. Peepers has his crate which I don't make him sleep in, but he really likes to sleep in there in the day time. It's his 'special place'. :wink: At night they sleep with me and my bf.

I wouldn't say that I favor 1 over the other but another reason I wanted another chi was because Mr. Peepers LOVES my daughter, she is his favorite human by far. I wanted a chi to love me too :) . I was somewhat worried that a new one just might favor my daugher too but I got lucky and Buster wants nothing more than to snuggle and be loved by me. He is a lovable guy and likes EVERYONE, even strangers.

Lastly, I NEVER regreted getting Buster and never wished I had only 1 chi again. They really are so much fun. When you don't have time to play with one, you don't have to worry because they will play with eachother :) . Be prepared though, if you get another one, they will play, ALOT! Mine play all the time except when eating, napping or getting lovings from us.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
For those that have more than 1 Chi, Do you feed them in seperate dishes at seperate times? How do you handle it when one is eating puppy food and one is eating dog food so that they don't eat each others?

Do you have one big bed for them to snuggle on together or two seperate beds for them?

Do you find yourself favoring one over the other(s)? Does one ever get jealous of another when you are giving attention to them?

right well...............

1. seperate food dishes but same water bowl - but they never each out of the others bowl

2. i big bed that they snuggle in and the cat gets in aswell :lol:

3. change pee pads daily

4. its like kids you think you will never love the 2nd as much but out of nowhere this love comes - I really do love mine equally byut I do have a soft spot for one of them but I feel guilty even saying it so i wont tell :lol:

5. never

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have 3 dogs but only one is a chihuahua. Bella is the most hyper out of them so I can only imagine what another chi would be like. The other two are hyper, but less than bella. As for your questions.. I feed them in seperate dishes, and say no if one tries to eat out of anothers but this rarely happens now that they know to eat from their dish only. They all eat in the kitchen together at the same time. Bella and my chinese crested free feed since they are so small, so I just refill the dishes when they empty. As for sleeping, they all sleep in bed with me. I wouldnt have it any other way. Bella sleeps practically under me under the covers as close as she can possibly get. I love waking up every morning and having them give me sleepy good morning kisses. I dont neccessarily favor one over the other, its like with kids (i dont have any but assume i would feel the same way) you have a soft spot for one maybe, bella for me cause shes the baby, but they are all loved equally. And yes they get jealous, thats why when I come home I greet them all at the same time. I sometimes lay on the floor when I get in and just let them all attack me. I never wish I was down to one, I couldnt imagine life without them. And someone else mentioned its hard taking more than one out with you..it is!! I try to rotate and take one at a time, two at the most unless I have help from someone. Good luck if you do add to your family, I'm sure you will be happy! :D

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
I have 2 chis. Sandy is 9 months and Koke is 5 months.

They eat out of the same bowl. I tried different bowls but they would just eat all the food from 1 bowl then switch to the other. I am just going to continue feeding them both puppy food until Koke is a year old then switch them to adult food.

I have 2 beds for them, but there are several places they sleep during the day. Sometimes they sleep togather sometimes seperate. At night they both sleep with me in bed.

I use puppy pads and take them outside. I pick up any poop as soon as I see it and flush it. The pads get changed after they have peed on them about 3 times.

I don't favor 1 over the other. I originally only wanted 1 dog, but Sandy really needed someone to play with so I got Koke. I was concerned that I might feel differently about Koke, but she is just such a sweet little thing that I love her just as much as Sandy.

I do not regret getting Koke at all. It has really made Sandy alot happier and that has made me a lot happier.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Can you answer some questions for me?

YES :)

For those that only have one Chi, why don't you have more than one?

I have two :)

Is it just an issue of time/money/energy or is it that you think your Chi would rather be an only child?

I used to worry about geting another Chi before I got José, but I'm glad I did, its just double the love. :)

For those that have more than 1 Chi, Do you feed them in seperate dishes at seperate times?

Yes, they have separate dishes, but they are free fed, so they eat at will, whenever they please. I feel that if I can have a snack when I need it, why shouldn't they get the same privaleges?

How do you handle it when one is eating puppy food and one is eating dog food so that they don't eat each others?

Patience. José would want to eat Chiquita's adult food, and Chiquita wanted the puppy food. I just keep their dishes in separate places and it seems to work fine.

They have separate beds because I knew how territorial Chiquita was so I went ahead and bought José his own crate and bed. The second reason besides her being territorial is, I knew José would mess in his crate untill he learned better, and I felt that wouldn't be fair to Chiquita to have to be in a bed with José's piddle on it, since she is way past that. When José is fully potty trained and doesn't have anymore accidents in his crate I will purchase a big crate for the both of them to share, but that's still a ways off.

No. I HATE puppy pads. I do not want to have the smell, or the hassle of cleaning up after the dogs for the rest of their little lives. I know, I know, alot of you use them with much success, but my take on them is... its basically the same as them peeing/pooping on the floor. That isn't ideal to me... they need to go outside... so that is what I do... I never use them, even in the beginning when they haven't learned to ask to go out. I think it would be confusing... "OK mom, I'm too lazy to ask to go outside where you really want me to go, but its ok if I do it on this paper" Kinda defeats the purpose of training outdoors. Anyways, enoughs said, I don't like them.

Do you find yourself favoring one over the other(s)?

Chiquita will always be my baby, she was my first chihuahua and introduced to me to the wonderful world of these little creatures. She is the alpha so she gets things first. I don't say that I favor her, because they both have qualities that I love... Chiquita likes to lay down and sleep with me, José likes to be held, wheras Chiquita HATES being held... she always gets this paranoid look on her face LOL :)

Does one ever get jealous of another when you are giving attention to them?

Of course, don't your children? If I am holding José, Chiquita will sit at my heels and whine. When I have Chiquita, José whines. They always want what the other one has. What's mine is mine, and whats yours is mine!

Oh don't ask me that!!! Only when José is bad LOL No, José was the present I didn't even know I wanted till I got it :)

I love my Cheewawas :) They are like potato chips, you can't have just one!

Seriously, its just double, triple, or (insert proper adjective here) the fun!

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
absolethe said:
For real. Someday I plan on getting #3. Not for a while though...
Me too. When we eventually move to a house, next year, I want to get at least 1 more, maybe 2. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts