Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HI Guys!!!!!! ~*~*~* SMILEING~*~*~*

Got a few questions for those of you feeding The Honest Kitchen food...
* How do you know how much PROTEIN your feeding at each feeing????:confused: Protein level??

* Which ones are the COMPLETE DIET. Meaning haveing to add
NOthing to it????:confused:

* Do most of you'ins feel OK giviing some of the ingredients in it,
such as Honey, Garlic, Rosemary on a Daily bases feeding???:confused:
((Everything is good in moderation, too much usually equals bad)))
Garlic- debated ingredient by many. Honey-some believe too much
can do opp. of its good/actually weaken the immune system.???
Rosemary- Just found this one out, Many feel Rosemary in any source
is linked to Seizers in dogs. YIKES!!! ?????

*Does it have EVERY vitamin, mineral, etc... that a dog needs or do you
HAVE to give a supplement with this food.

*Shelf like after opening??? Regrigerate it???:confused:

I'm prob. going to give'r a whirl and try it, but like some, I wasn't
that impressed with ingreds./or the meat content-Protein.:(
Really confused about it right now, since not knowing much about it.

PLEASE give me some Feedback. THANKS GUYS... ~*~*~HUGS~*~*~

You really feel your Chi's. do very well on this food????

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
The only formula NOT a complete diet is "Preference". You MUST add meat to that one.

You don't have to give supplements. The foods are considered complete. The pro to feeding a food like this over kibble is that it is less processed and closer to it's natural state.

If you don't feel comfortable with something about it, then don't feed it, find something you ARE comfortable with :)

The open box is fine shelf-life wise, you don't need to refrigerate it. Once the food is made, it should be consumed within 20 minutes, or refrigerated until a later meal, but no more than 24 hours.

Mine have done 100% better on this food combined with raw meals than they ever did on a kibble, but that's just MY dogs, it is different for all dogs. Not all dogs LIKE this food, either, so you can always request free samples from the company and they'll mail them to you.

PROTEIN -- in the wild, as received, a prey diet varies in protein from 11%-15% depending on what's being eaten. Why? Because it is in its natural state, not hyper concentrated into a kibble, which bounces the percentage up to 28% & higher. When I feed my dogs a meal of raw bone-in chicken with a bit of liver or kidney or other organ, their protein amount is around 12% give or take. With THK, it models that -- as recieved, per meal, around 15% is protein. What you don't realize is that after your dog gulps kibble down, they have to drink water that essentially will dilute the protein in the kibble down to a similar percentage for processing in their systems. Its not the easiest thing to explain but hopefully it makes sense.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Flippedstars
Yea, that kinda makes some sense to me. Amazenly... LOL...
THANKS for replying back and trying to explain few things
to me. Appreciate it...
I am soooo lost when it comes to this dehydrated food stuff... LOL...
Blessings....

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I used the Preference & added my own cooked meat & when I don't have any meat to add, I've got a box of the force. Because it's hydrated, it doesn't have to be refrigerated. Just make sure you seal the bag every time you use it. One of the biggest downfalls to this food that I've found is the alfalfa in it. Don't let the hydrated food sit around too long if your chi doesn't finish it as the alfalfa could cause Listeria. My chi sometimes leaves a tiny bit in the bowl, so I pick it up & put it in the sink.
As far as additives--I add Nupro once a day to which ever food I feed & sometimes add a hard boiled egg. My chi loves this food--both the Preference & the Force. I will be a continued customer as long as they never have a recall or start skimping out on the ingrediants.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
As a recent starter of THK I can say I was concerned at first as well but, after 4 meals of it my little boy is doing SO well.

I've posted about it quite a bit, but my little boy and his bottom don't really agree, he wants to eat anything whereas he doesn't process it well and it makes him pretty miserable when it comes time for potty.

That being said, Kristi was up front that it works for her dogs, and yeah I could see it not working for some. Godric was a little confused when he first saw this almost soup/pudding consistency meal in front of him but once he got going it was smooth sailing.

I will attest that he wees, a LOT more now, but it's primarily clear. Which is likely because he's not a big drinker and I usually have to encourage him to get drinks after play and such. I like to know all his body parts are working :] Just like humans I would think, if it's clear it's generally a good sign.

Not to sound "endorse'y" but THK really has helped me out with my little one. I'm considering switching my girl over as well.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
As a recent starter of THK I can say I was concerned at first as well but, after 4 meals of it my little boy is doing SO well.

I've posted about it quite a bit, but my little boy and his bottom don't really agree, he wants to eat anything whereas he doesn't process it well and it makes him pretty miserable when it comes time for potty.

That being said, Kristi was up front that it works for her dogs, and yeah I could see it not working for some. Godric was a little confused when he first saw this almost soup/pudding consistency meal in front of him but once he got going it was smooth sailing.

I will attest that he wees, a LOT more now, but it's primarily clear. Which is likely because he's not a big drinker and I usually have to encourage him to get drinks after play and such. I like to know all his body parts are working :] Just like humans I would think, if it's clear it's generally a good sign.

Not to sound "endorse'y" but THK really has helped me out with my little one. I'm considering switching my girl over as well.
Maybe use a bit less water. It's possible he wasn't getting enough water before, they need a TON of water to process kibble. Which formula are you using for your little guy? Keen I do a 1:2 food/water ratio, but all the others I do much closer to a 1:1 ratio of water to food. :)

Anyway, I am glad it seems to be helping your little fella. Really it has done wonders for my sensitive tummy boy who didn't have a firm poo the first 2.5 months we had him, his first one ever was after we started feeding him Embark. I seriously think its because kibble was just TOO processed for him.

But it isn't for everyone! So maybe get the free samples and see what you think.

You have to keep in mind when you read a kibble bag every single ingredient you read has been processed to where it's practically unrecognizable to you and your doggie's body. Kibble is WONDERFUL for many dogs but it didn't work for our one guy which lead to switching all of our dogs.

We do use Nupro as a supplement too :)

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Maybe use a bit less water. It's possible he wasn't getting enough water before, they need a TON of water to process kibble. Which formula are you using for your little guy? Keen I do a 1:2 food/water ratio, but all the others I do much closer to a 1:1 ratio of water to food. :)

Anyway, I am glad it seems to be helping your little fella. Really it has done wonders for my sensitive tummy boy who didn't have a firm poo the first 2.5 months we had him, his first one ever was after we started feeding him Embark. I seriously think its because kibble was just TOO processed for him.

But it isn't for everyone! So maybe get the free samples and see what you think.

You have to keep in mind when you read a kibble bag every single ingredient you read has been processed to where it's practically unrecognizable to you and your doggie's body. Kibble is WONDERFUL for many dogs but it didn't work for our one guy which lead to switching all of our dogs.

We do use Nupro as a supplement too :)
Kristi, I got him Embark to begin with because that was the only 4oz bag they had in stock and I wanted to be able to have enough meals to see it working. I spoke with another THK user and I think i'm going to switch him over to Keen (I know, not for puppies) but it's much more affordable $53 v $84 /10lb and then i'll supplement in protein as necessary.

As prepared keen is only 4 protein less than embark (which is "for puppies") and a handful of other things are more/less. So I think i'll be safe as long as I get him on a puppy vitamin regimen.

I used perhaps too much water 1:3, but I wanted to be sure he had enough to process it :/ I will cut it down a bit like you said 1:2, but you're probably very right there were some times he'd wee and it's smell awful on kibble and now there's no smell.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Kristi, I got him Embark to begin with because that was the only 4oz bag they had in stock and I wanted to be able to have enough meals to see it working. I spoke with another THK user and I think i'm going to switch him over to Keen (I know, not for puppies) but it's much more affordable $53 v $84 /10lb and then i'll supplement in protein as necessary.

As prepared keen is only 4 protein less than embark (which is "for puppies") and a handful of other things are more/less. So I think i'll be safe as long as I get him on a puppy vitamin regimen.

I used perhaps too much water 1:3, but I wanted to be sure he had enough to process it :/ I will cut it down a bit like you said 1:2, but you're probably very right there were some times he'd wee and it's smell awful on kibble and now there's no smell.
For the Embark a 1:1 ratio or at most 1:1.5 ratio is fine :) If you PM huskyluv, she has coupons she can send you...he WILL poo more, btw, if you keep him on the Embark, because it's very high fiber -- part of what makes it so great for sensitive tummy pups. They enjoy it more if its not quite so 'soupy'.

If you buy the Keen, I would suggest possibly just picking up a roll of ground turkey at the grocery store and adding in 1 tablespoon to each of his meals -- that should bring it back to "puppy status" again :) Adding something like Nupro will help too. TBH I've never cared whether I've fed a puppy food or not -- the biggest thing that makes it puppyfood is it has DHA for brain/eye development. Easy solution? Add a squirt of salmon oil to each meal :)

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
For the Embark a 1:1 ratio or at most 1:1.5 ratio is fine :) If you PM huskyluv, she has coupons she can send you...he WILL poo more, btw, if you keep him on the Embark, because it's very high fiber -- part of what makes it so great for sensitive tummy pups. They enjoy it more if its not quite so 'soupy'.

If you buy the Keen, I would suggest possibly just picking up a roll of ground turkey at the grocery store and adding in 1 tablespoon to each of his meals -- that should bring it back to "puppy status" again :) Adding something like Nupro will help too. TBH I've never cared whether I've fed a puppy food or not -- the biggest thing that makes it puppyfood is it has DHA for brain/eye development. Easy solution? Add a squirt of salmon oil to each meal :)
That's what I had intended to do and yep, Husky and I have already talked! We're on the same track haha! She gave me the hookup! The biggest problem I have with THK is I have NO local retailers. I just messaged a local boutique to see if they'd carry it, haven't heard back yet so we'll see. Either way i'll be ordering a 10lb box of keen tomorrow :]

I am going to supplement it, we always have ground turkey in the house so that's fantastic, I was just thinking what should I add.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
That's what I had intended to do and yep, Husky and I have already talked! We're on the same track haha! She gave me the hookup! The biggest problem I have with THK is I have NO local retailers. I just messaged a local boutique to see if they'd carry it, haven't heard back yet so we'll see. Either way i'll be ordering a 10lb box of keen tomorrow :]

I am going to supplement it, we always have ground turkey in the house so that's fantastic, I was just thinking what should I add.
1/4 scrambled egg per 5 lbs of body weight is another good add in (don't know what your fella weighs), we always have eggs so thats another easy one. :) The ground turkey, chicken, pork or beef are all good too. Generally to get the right ratio of add-in, you want to feed the same amount equal to the DRY THK, so 1/8 cup THK + 1/8 cup ground raw meat mixed in :) Hopefully that makes sense, but work up to the ground meat even though it should be fine. Chances are your guy is like mine -- the less processed a food is the better they handle it. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts