Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few questions regarding Aidyn's behavior.

1. I've had him for a week now and have not heard him bark once. Is that normal for some chi's not to bark? Not that I mind so much, its better than having a dog that barks too much.

2. Aidyn broke his leg on Wed, and per the vets orders he is to be confined. When I got him I didn't have the crate, it was in storage and I hadn't been able to get it. I always crate train my dogs as it comes in handy. However Aidyn cries and where I live I cannot have him make to much noise. He whines, that pitiful puppy whine that wrenches your heart. I know not to get him out while he is making noise but at the present I have no choice because of the noise level. I cover it up to make it cave like, put his chewie in with him but he still whines and stands up on the door which is not good for his leg. Right now he is "confined" in my lap between my arms while I type on the laptop. He's also very clingy, I give him to my Mom to hold while I cook dinner or other necessary things and he whines and tries to get to me. I've read that chi's are mainly a one person dog but is there a way to make him less dependent?

3. Puppy pads: He has them and walks right over them and goes beside them. If I try to move him it scares him enough that he decides he doesn't have to go right then and starts his search all over again. Several times today he has actually gone on his pad and I praised him alot. He does well when we go outside but with his leg I feel its better to keep him in most of the time on level ground. So, any suggestions to make him see the pad as his only place to go? Or just keep picking up and putting him on it till the idea sinks in?

I will say this though, yesterday after picking him up at the vets my mom and I had to go to Tulsa for her drs appt. I took him inside the building and inside the waiting room for her dr. He was the best little gentleman I could hope for and got some pets and love from strangers without any issues. I was so proud of him. He slept cuddled under his new blankie and with his elephant squeaky. Made no sound whatsoever. He only shook because he got a little cold, which we remedied with his blankie. :hello1:

Thanks for any advice. Elisabeth and Aidyn

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Tough love with the whining. Give him kongs or some other interactive toy in his crate, and cover the crate with a blanket. Don't open the crate while he is whining or he will learn that he can whine and get out of the crate. As for the potty pad issue, the only way I potty pad trained Zoey was to put her pad in an apple box and then stuck her in it when I 'thought' she had to go, otherwise she would trot right off of it (even if I had 2 or three together) and pee/poop on the floor. Then I would praise/treat the heck out of her when she did potty on the pad, gradually I cut out the opening of the box and then just had the pad. I kept it in one location so she got used to it. Now she has one in every room of the house (she's on steroids so has to have potty access all the time.).

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Looks like youve already had some good advice. Just wanted to chime in that it is very normal for any puppy not to "discover" their bark for several months after bringing them home. I think my Reese let out his first bark around 6 months, and we just heard Mileys first bark a few days ago! Im sure little Aidyn will show you his bark soon enough!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
How old is he?

I've learned it's tough love with the crying, we live in an apartment and can't have a bunch of noise either but there really isn't too much else you can do, i'd suggest getting him familiar to it during the day. Crate him off, leave, and come back. I did that in 20-30 minute walk intervals a few times a day till he realized I was coming back and stopped freaking out.

If he's broken his leg and you're keeping him in your lap nonstop, it's teaching him he can come to you in time of need so expect clingy. When I got mine he was pitifully sick and he slept on me whilst crying for 4 days nonstop, I had a long weekend away from work and I don't think I left the sofa much because he slept all the time and wouldn't do it unless I was there; that being said once I knew he was 100% I went back to "business face" and he got loved on my terms (which is a lot) but I didn't cave into the cries.

Don't expect too much bark, my current baby took a bit to find his but once he did he used it, a lot I questioned that on my first and i'm sad I encouraged it hah, my pups aren't yappy and they don't bark on walks or anything but at home when they're comfortable - don't even think about it, my friends don't even knock anymore because it takes so long to settle Gretel down after it :]

**edit: Oh and puppy pads, don't expect much just yet. Our girl still missed after over a year of them, she's strictly an outside potty-er now. But our baby sucks, he doesn't even try usually. I did buy a "potty-pad holder" he hated it for the first few days but he's warming up to it today, the 4th day.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Sounds like you are a very well-meaning dog owner by how much you love him and how many good questions you have. Everyone has brought up some great points.

To touch on him being less clingy/more independent: let anyone you know and trust hold him as much as possible. Play "pass the puppy" with your family, friends, and anyone you know will be okay holding him without hurting him. Have lots of other people give him love and treats and he will learn that there is benefit to being everyone's friend and that no matter who he is with at the time he will go back to you eventually.
If you coddle him to much or always take him back whenever he acts anxious with others, he could become overprotective or overly shy, and too much of those qualities have been known to lead to dogs that bite!

I am glad you have him and are taking such good care of him! Hope his leg heals soon!

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I have a few questions regarding Aidyn's behavior.

1. I've had him for a week now and have not heard him bark once. Is that normal for some chi's not to bark? Not that I mind so much, its better than having a dog that barks too much.
That's not uncommon. Jazz was probably 6 months old before I heard her bark for the first time. She still doesn't bark much. And I've yet to hear her growl, probably because Tango does enough growling for the both of them lol! When they're playing and he's growling, you'd think it was a 100 pound vicious dog by the noise he makes. :D

2. Aidyn broke his leg on Wed, and per the vets orders he is to be confined. When I got him I didn't have the crate, it was in storage and I hadn't been able to get it. I always crate train my dogs as it comes in handy. However Aidyn cries and where I live I cannot have him make to much noise. He whines, that pitiful puppy whine that wrenches your heart. I know not to get him out while he is making noise but at the present I have no choice because of the noise level. I cover it up to make it cave like, put his chewie in with him but he still whines and stands up on the door which is not good for his leg. Right now he is "confined" in my lap between my arms while I type on the laptop. He's also very clingy, I give him to my Mom to hold while I cook dinner or other necessary things and he whines and tries to get to me. I've read that chi's are mainly a one person dog but is there a way to make him less dependent?
You're not doing yourself, or your dog, any favors by giving in to his whining. I realize you have a noise issue where you live, and that's making it problematic for you, but still I'd do everything I could to work around that. Maybe play a radio to drown out your dog's noise? I'm thinking a radio might be a less offensive noise to some than dog noises. Also you might want to go outside, or to another room, and see how loud his whining actually is. Oftentimes it sounds horrid when you're right there, but through a wall or in the next room it's a lot less. You could also talk to your neighbors, tell them you're training your dog and beg their indulgence while you go through the process. A neighbor who has been informed/consulted is far less inclined to complain to management.

Realize that every time you let him out when he's whining just reinforces that particular behavior, and makes it even harder to crate train him successfully. Chis are "people" dogs, meaning that they bond easily to humans. They have gotten a reputation for being one-person dogs, but that has to do with their owners as much as it does the dogs inherent tendencies.

3. Puppy pads: He has them and walks right over them and goes beside them. If I try to move him it scares him enough that he decides he doesn't have to go right then and starts his search all over again. Several times today he has actually gone on his pad and I praised him alot. He does well when we go outside but with his leg I feel its better to keep him in most of the time on level ground. So, any suggestions to make him see the pad as his only place to go? Or just keep picking up and putting him on it till the idea sinks in?
It's going to take a while for your dog to understand what the puppy pad is for. With Jazz, she was confined pretty much every moment that I wasn't able to watch/be with her. I had a playpen for her when she was tiny, the bottom of it was covered with pee pads other than where her bed and food was and she started getting SOME idea of what a pee pad was for just because there was nowhere else she COULD pee. I also have a bathroom that has a separate commode area, very small, and I'd put a pee pad in there and take her to that area to pee when I let her out of her crate. I could close the door and keep her very confined while I watched her use the pad. I'd put my feet on either side of the pad, and so she pretty much had no choice but to pee on it. Learning to use pads is a process for chis, some more than others apparently. Tango spoiled me! He was a fast learner. Jazz on the other hand is taking more time.

Really, the key to pad training is to not let your dog have the run of the house, and to keep him confined except when you can watch him 100%. The less often he makes mistakes, the faster his training will go.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the great advice.

I'm learning Aidyn's signs that he needs to go potty, and straight away we head to the bathroom where his pad is. Does anyone use those fake grass thingies? I've seen them advertised but wondered if there is any use in getting one.

With the crate, he is getting better. It's only been a day really since I introduced him, just not ever having a chi I wondered if there was some miracle cure. lol. We should only be so lucky. Anyway, last night was a rough one, Aidyn wouldn't settle down easily. I placed him in his crate with a snack (his pain pill requires that he take it with food) and water and his elephant and chewie. He whined for about thirty minutes, and I steadfastly ignored the most pitiful sound in the world. He settled down, I don't know if he slept or not b/c by that point I passed out myself. I checked on him and he saw me and started whining again. He has the poor poor pitiful puppy dog eyes down pat, but I'm toughening up. Vets orders that he be confined. It's better for him, safer and that's all that matters. To bad he can't understand that. :(

Over all he is being a great little boy. Thanks again for the advice everyone.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the great advice.

I'm learning Aidyn's signs that he needs to go potty, and straight away we head to the bathroom where his pad is. Does anyone use those fake grass thingies? I've seen them advertised but wondered if there is any use in getting one.

With the crate, he is getting better. It's only been a day really since I introduced him, just not ever having a chi I wondered if there was some miracle cure. lol. We should only be so lucky. Anyway, last night was a rough one, Aidyn wouldn't settle down easily. I placed him in his crate with a snack (his pain pill requires that he take it with food) and water and his elephant and chewie. He whined for about thirty minutes, and I steadfastly ignored the most pitiful sound in the world. He settled down, I don't know if he slept or not b/c by that point I passed out myself. I checked on him and he saw me and started whining again. He has the poor poor pitiful puppy dog eyes down pat, but I'm toughening up. Vets orders that he be confined. It's better for him, safer and that's all that matters. To bad he can't understand that. :(

Over all he is being a great little boy. Thanks again for the advice everyone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts