Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe one of the breeders around here can answer this question for me.

I was wondering if the AKC or Chi Kennel Club "regulates" the descriptions of colors when you advertise or describe puppies in their registrations. For instance, I saw a light-medium brown chi (lighter than Cooper but darker than an off-white) and the breeder described it as "fawn". I thought fawn was a white with a little brown mixed into their paint.

Also, with all the breeders trying to breed blues and brindles, I've noticed a lot of color names popping up that seem to be describing the same exact coat color. That OR using the older descriptive words with the newer ones, i.e. "fawn brindle".

I was just wondering if the actual naming of the color is up to the breeder's discretion or if there are general guidelines you must follow. I mean, I know you can't call a black dog "white" but on the less obvious pups...

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
I always thought "Fawn" was the color of a fawn, no where near white.

My Sandy is Fawn with Black brindling, the brindling is actually dark, dark brown though.

I think it's up the the breeders descretion though. It's a tuff call for them because most change color as they get older anyway. :dontknow:

·
Registered
510 Posts
The vet labled Hershey as fawn. And she is not white.
I think Breeders try to get as fancy with labling pups as they can so they can seem more inticing. I never knew what brindle was till I came to this web site. It is really a cool color mixture.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know what got me thinking about it ... I just noticed on one site, they said one pup was silver and the other was blue but they looked just alike to me. You would think there would be universal names for the colors just to keep confusion at a minimum. :)

Here's a pic of my "fawn" colored Chi, Poco. He looks white in this photo but it was scanned off a polaroid from 1974 and the color got a bit messed up. He was basically a really light brown-ish off white color. I wish I had a better photo of him where you could actually see the coloring.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I'm sure the breeder's use whatever Association they register their pups with guidelines for describing color. What one Association calls the color fawn, another Association may call it another color name. I don't think breeder's make up a certain color name---unless they are BYB...which is a whole other issue anyway. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts