Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
just wanted some advice on questions to ask/things to look out for when I go to view pups. I've already got a good idea from my chihuahua book, but wanted some advice from people in the know!!! :wink:
Ta very much
x

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I found this article somewhere on the net while I was searching for Cooper and I actually saved it! :lol: I rarely do anything that will come in handy later!!

Verfiy that:

• Puppies for sale are born on the premises - not shipped in.

Breeder does not sell puppies to wholesalers, brokers, dealers or retail shops.

Dog set up is clean and well kept.

Breeder insists that the puppies for sale will be at least seven weeks old before being placed.

Sire and dam of the litter are at least two years old and were tested for genetic health before the breeding.

Breeder volunteered information on the health testing of most of the immediate relatives of the sire and dam, volunteered proof and offers a guarantee against genetic health problems of at least two years. (Note: It isn't possible to produce dogs entirely free of genetic problems.)

Puppies for sale and dogs for sale have been introduced to children and other animals as part of their socialization.

Breeder reviewed some of the problems some people have with the breed.

Breeder asked if you plan to breed the dog.

Breeder is available as a resource for advice and support for the life of the dog.

Breeder promises to take the dog in (not return your money) if you can't keep it, for the life of the dog.

Breeder provides a contract for your review and goes over it with you.

Breeder raises no more than 3 or 4 different breeds of puppies for sale and dogs for sale. It is very difficult for a breeder to be competent in more breeds.

Breeder is a member of a breed club.

Breeder's primary concern is finding a good home for the puppy, rather than getting paid.

Breeder asked you lots of questions about your lifestyle, family, experience with dogs and other pets, why you are looking for a dog for sale.

Breeder was happy to answer all your questions and made you feel comfortable asking for advice.

What you should get with your puppy

• a properly executed Registration Certificate. Registration materials may be withheld if a written statement is provided of when, and under what conditions, they will be provided (e.g. until the time of spay or neuter by the new owner as verified by a veterinarian, or if a written certification identifying the exact date of birth, and the AKC, UKC or CKC (in Canada) registration numbers of the Sire and Dam are provided instead).

written, three-generation pedigree.

health record including a diet, inoculation and parasite control record, and health guarantee.

basic diet and care information.

time frame during which the puppy or dog may be examined by a licensed veterinarian, at the buyer's expense, and, upon written recommendation of the veterinarian for specific reasons, the puppy or dog may be returned to the seller for a full refund of all money paid.

I hope some of this helps!! I hope you find your new puppy! :D

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks its useful to have a checklist like that. 8)

Just a question about pedigree papers...how do i know they are real? What do they look like??

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I don't know about that, since you're in the UK. I know Cooper's looks like a standard genealogy chart with a CKC seal on them but they might do things differently over there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts