Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you leave them out all of the time, or put them in the fridge after they chew on them?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I've just been leaving them out for my guys...they've actually managed to eat some of the ends of them, too, which amazed me. I'm not sure how long they can just be left out for, but I would guess quite some time...??

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, thank you. :) My Vet told me to put the bullies in the fridge after they chew on them, and toss them after a week. We don't use bullies anymore, but just wondering how they would compare. The Antlers are diff. though? They don't get gummy. But I'm thinking with the saliva it would still grow bacteria?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
That makes sense, I don't know though, I've always just left chewies out, including bullies. Bullies last maybe 2 weeks if there are a few down (to avoid wars) but I freeze them before...hmm. Maybe I should be freezing or fridging them between uses. I'd probably forget to give them back :( ...on the antlers, mine have managed to get them a tish gummy, as they actually have been eating them a bit, and they will knaw on them for hours, so maybe thats something to take into account and I should freeze them now and then to clean them up.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I always left mine out too, but after they all got sick the Vet said to be on the safe side to put that kind of stuff in the fridge. It does make sense, and I had never even gave it any thought. But with the Antlers, so far they seem the same as when I took them out of the package. I pick them up after they nibble on them, and other than a lil saliva, they haven't been gummy at all. But maybe I should just be safe and put them in. I'm like you, I forget to take them back out. :lol:

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I freeze bullies, but I leave antlers out. :)

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Tracy! :)

Kristin, yep. Crazy the things they come up with, isn't it? But they love em'! :lol:

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Freeze bullies?? I didn't know they should be frozen. Hmmm...

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lisa, just pop them in the freezer after they chew on them, and the ones that aren't being used. It just keeps them fresh longer. Since the ends get so gummy, they can grow bacteria that can make your babies sick. :(

Sarah & Rache, put them on your SS wish list. :)

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Lisa, just pop them in the freezer after they chew on them, and the ones that aren't being used. It just keeps them fresh longer. Since the ends get so gummy, they can grow bacteria that can make your babies sick. :(

Sarah & Rache, put them on your SS wish list. :)
Thanks T! After I read your thread I put the ones they were chewing in the freezer. :)
When I take their bullies away I usually leave them on a piece of parchment paper to harden, and that's where they stay until I give them their bullies again.
I'll have to put the new ones in the freezer too.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks T! After I read your thread I put the ones they were chewing in the freezer. :)
When I take their bullies away I usually leave them on a piece of parchment paper to harden, and that's where they stay until I give them their bullies again.
I'll have to put the new ones in the freezer too.
That's a good idea too! I never thought of that either. Like a dummie I just left mine out, laying around the floor. Since my pups really only nibble at those things, it could be months down the road and the bullies would still be next to whole. I would only throw them away when they started looking dry. I have no clue what I was thinking. :lol: After they got sick, and the Vet and I went over everything even close to food related (anything that went in their mouth), they said not to leave them out like that anymore. I felt like a dummie. :( But now I'm wondering about the Antlers.

PS~ But they chew on darn dirty sticks from outside! :lol:

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
My stepdad gave me a deer antler for mine ages ago, at least two years. They actually have been unable to do much damage to it and really do not mess with it much anymore but I havent really thought much about leaving it for them this long. There has been no change to it.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
this is something new....I didn't know to freeze the bullies but sound like a good idea....my don't really like the antler.....

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My stepdad gave me a deer antler for mine ages ago, at least two years. They actually have been unable to do much damage to it and really do not mess with it much anymore but I havent really thought much about leaving it for them this long. There has been no change to it.
We didn't get the big ole' rack type thing. It's just a 4" tip off the ends. But it would be the same as far as storing it, I guess. That's the way ours are too. No change. Those things are like rocks!!!!

this is something new....I didn't know to freeze the bullies but sound like a good idea....my don't really like the antler.....
Yep, just pop em' in your freezer. Keeps em' fresh. :)

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
i leave my deer and elk antlers out. i dont think its necessary o fridge that hard of thing...LOL. he chews on them whenever he wants and it takes a longgggg time even for him to finish one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts