Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to share because I am so excited!!

We have been trying to get Jaxx to sleep in his kennel at night and at first I thought we were fighting a losing battle especially since we live in a apartment and I was afraid of the neighbors complaining when he was whining.

I found a small bed that fits in the bottom of the kennel so that it is nice and comfy for him and put a special toy in the kennel that he doesn't have during the day. I probably should have made it a quiet toy but he loves his squeakers. I placed a tshirt that I had wore that day in the kennel so that he could have my scent (Jaxx loves to curl up in my clothes if I leave them on the floor.)
For the final piece to get Jaxx to start loving his kennel at night I hid some treats inside of the kennel and made sure that I gave him a treat when I said "get in" and he actually went in.

The first night he whined on and off all night long. Needless to say I was very tired the next day but somehow my boyfriend did not even hear it.
The second night he went straight into the kennel and we did not hear a peep from him until he had to go outside at around 4 am. I thought this was just a fluke and that it would not happen again but, we have had several nights now with Jaxx sleeping in his kennel and being very quiet. He even seems more active during the day so perhaps we were keeping him awake at nights by tossing and turning.

He even goes straight to his kennel now when I say "get in".

I wonder why it is easy to train dogs with certain commands and other commands are harder. Jaxx picked up "get in" very easy and "out" when I am leaving the room and want him to leave it also he picked up without even being given a treat for good behavior. "Fetch" on the other hand we have been working on for a long time and every once in a while he gets it and brings the item back to me but most times he gets it and then goes and either hides the toy or plays with it in his bed. It makes sense that he is playing with a toy and he wants to play his way but, I have noticed other commands he either picks them up easy or not and there is not a rhyme or reason to which ones he is going to pick up on.

·
Registered
311 Posts
That's great ~ and even better that on top of getting the little guy trained and adjusted to the house you don't have the worry of the neighbors complaining about him being noisy. I know our pup absolutely loves her crate, we too put a tiny bed that fits nicely into it ~ she has a great comfy set up. Before bed she snoozes/ plays on my bed the a quick dash outside for final potty and she sleeps until rescue kitty wakes her up in the morning between 5 & 6 am. She is really happy in there though. Once she is reliably potty trained I won't close the door, but until that point I am keeping her closed in, but she is snug and happy so it hasn't been an issue.

Glad things worked out for you :) it has to be a huge relief.

·
Registered
135 Posts
You have accomplished something I failed miserably at lol. Penny wanted absolutely nothing to do with her kennel no matter what I did so after 2 weeks of sleepless nights I folded it back up and bought another "big dog bed" just like Dylan's lol. Luckily she does pretty good thru the night every now and then we find a stinky pickle by the back door (right next to the pee-pad mind you) but if that's the cost of a good nights sleep then so be it.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is a huge relief. The first night that he slept quietly I actually thought something was wrong and woke him up to make sure he was okay.

I am just glad he is adjusting to sleeping by himself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts