Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so we have reached the stage in Quigley's treatment they have tried everything except the testosterone shots to help his dribbling and hair loss. We have known for a while he has virtually no testosterone in his system. And remember he had an enlarged prostate with a walnut sized growth on it that they removed during his 1st surgery. We have tried PPA and estrogen with no help. As well as other treatments. The last treatment we can try is the testosterone treatment. The DR at UGA says there is a possibility he will experience personality changes if we do treatment as well as prostate issues. However, if he does experience the negative things we can take him off of the treatment and expect him to return to his "old" self.
This has been such a long road we have been on. I want him well and healthy. I also want him to be able to roam our home (supervised of course) instead of having to live life on a towel or constantly have to worry about diapering him or urine burns on his skin. Constantly worrying if someone comes over and he wants to say hello watching so he does not urinate on them. I absolutely adore him and will do what ever it takes. However, if there is a treatment that will help him have better quality of life I just can't imagine not trying it.
Has anyone experienced testosterone treatments for their little guy? What changes should I expect? Aggresion? Marking?
Also, want to know what y'all think of the testosterone shots for him specifically?
Tracy, Heather what do you think?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I think you should try it. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. If it helps him - YAY. If you see negative behavioral changes that you can't live with, then just take him off of them. It's certainly worth a try! Quigley has such a sweet personality, I can't imagine him turning into the incredible hulk or something. ;) I think he'll be just fine and maybe it can help!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I agree, give it a try, if it fails well then you know you've tried everything and if it works it will be such a wonderful benefit to both of you. Good luck. we all love little Quigley.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I think you have to give it a try, just so you have the peace of mind of knowing youve done everything they can think of to help him. I so hope you can find a solution, I know how frustrated you are.
Lol at Tracy's Hulk comment.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I would give it a try, we use testosterone in older dogs who get tumors in their testicles after they get neutered, and I haven't seen/heard it changing their personality all that much, especially where he has none in his system, I think it would benefit him. Poor little guy has been through so much.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your input. I feel the same way you all do, I just wanted to know what y'all thought.

Thank you Heather for telling me you have not seen great changes when using testosterone. I kinda feel if I am on top of it we can nip unwanted behavior in the bud. My vet has to talk to his drug rep as they have not used this kind of therapy before. Is it expensive? I really could not find that much info out there on the web.

Thank you again my friends. You are greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Poor Quigley he has been through so much! I don't know all about Quigley's full health situation but I can tell his mum really loves him. Good luck with the new treatment and give him a kiss from me and Elmo xx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts