Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I'm FuLio, I am new to the forums.

I am going to buy my first chihuahua tomorrow and i have a couple of questions.

I was wondering how big this chihuahua will grow? The seller said that the mom is 9 inches tall and that the dad was a little shorter. The seller also said that she is eight weeks old. Any ideas how tall the chihuahua will grow?

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
It's almost impossible to tell from the information you've given, or the pics you've provided, how big the chi will grow. Her weight versus her age in weeks will give you a better predictor of her adult size. It's not a foolproof system of prediction, but it will give you an idea of whether you're going to end up with a 3 - 4 pound dog, or a 8 - 10 pound one.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Do you know her age and weight in the picture? She looks to be about 2 pounds or so to me, but it's kind of hard to tell. So I would guess she'll be a 'normal' sized chi as an adult, certainly not a 'tiny' if that's what you are looking for. She looks a little younger than 8 weeks to me in the picture.

She also appears to have an umbilical hernia. Not a big deal really. You can have it repaired when she is spayed. But it is something to consider as it will need to be surgically fixed.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi my buster is 9 inches tall hes 7and a half months now and weighs 4 pounds 14 oz hes tall and very slim and looks very little to me hes a good boy your puppy looks so cute i think at 8 weeks my buster weighed 1 pound 7 ozs hope this helps

·
Registered
81 Posts
It is very hard to tell from a pic how big a chihuahua will grow..

Alot of people say you can go off the size of the parent's but that doesn't alway's mean that if a pup has small parent's that it will also be small..

You can purchase two pup's from the same litter and one can be big and the other is small.. One can be a 'deer' chihuahua the other a 'apple'..

At the end of the day you should pick a puppy that you love.. Whether that be a certain coat colour, length or a puppy that just stand's out from the rest.. Your going to love that pup whether it stay's small or grow's to be one mighty chihuahua!!!

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Hi and welcome to the board :)

It is so hard to tell from pictures and quite frankly with the breeding these days there is no accurate way to say how large or small a pup will be. Your best chance is to buy from a reputable breeder that breeds to better the breed and does health testing and has been breeding for a long time and knows their lines. They will be able to tell you more about their pups as they know the lines.

You can try to look at parents and grandparents but this isnt fool proof either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts